New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock inletting question for you stockmakers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm close to start inletting the Sunny-hill bottom metal for my 404 Jeffery. The back of the Sunny-hill bottom metal is about .052 smaller than the facotry bottom metal. And best I can tell my stock came off the machine patterned for factory bottom metal or close to it. In round number is looks to be about 1/16 gap on both sides.

So I have a pretty fair gap at the back, and Jeffe, don't even start on me, I have't touched it yet, it came that way .

Anyway, I have a nice piece of English with a good size gap at the back of the trigger gaurd. I would like to use this stock but no doubt will have to fill it. I have some of the wood from the blank that I can fill it with or I could try to match it with acraglass.

Not sure if I need to cut a piece and fill entire back of the stock where the TG goes or or just the sides. Not sure if I explained this correctly or not, but hope some will understand.

Comments please.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gringo,
If it is 0.052" smaller then it should be half that on both sides. Right? When you inlet it if there is enough wood proud of the bottom metal, you can wet it and push it over to fill the gap at the top. 0.026 may be a bit too much but gaps in bottom metal intletting are common and that method is often used to eliminate them.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Gringo...

I was also going to mention the procedure that Chic posted.

Are the gaps in the rear tang area.....or the rear of the magazine box......or both?

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, I thought about wetting it, but figured it was to large a gap, I should have stated that in my post. But I can give it a shot.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Chic, where Ole Bill Soverns been, havent seen him online in a while. Figured he would jump in a ask me how my foot was from dropping that damn blank he sold me on my foot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grandview,

The gap is at the back from the back trigger gaurd screw, about 1/16 of an inch on each side of the trigger. The front screw seems to fit pretty good. I thought it was to large and long a gap to wet and move it over, its about 1 inch long gap or more on each side. If it was a small area I think I could move it over. I may inlet it tomorrow and take some pic and post.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
You could also cut some wood from a hidden area and acraglass it in. Another way would be to shave many thin slivers of wood. Put some glass in the area behind the triggerguard (make sure the guard and screws are coated with a good release). Jam as many of those wood slivers as you can into that area. I have used this method for filling defects and it works pretty good.

Good luck!

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I have two large pieces of wood from the blank that I can use. I've got plendy of wood. The wood slivers would be easy enough, thought about that two, just never had one this bad before.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Billy,

If you have big pieces you could make a piece that would fit into the inletting (very closely). Glue that in then re-inlet the triggerguard.

The repair will almost disapper if you match the wood color and fit as closely as possible before glueing.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a stockmaker, but I do know you can take sanding dust from that particular blank and mix it in with clear epoxy to make a putty that matches the wood color very, very closely. I've done this for various woodworking projects.

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy,
If you have 1/16 on both side it is too much to move. If the gap is at the rear also, it is very difficult to glue wood in with the end grain running across the small piece. What I would suggest is to cut a piece that fits the complete slot and then reinlet the bottom metal. It is far easier to glue in this way, the problem comes in finding the best wood match. Inletting that portion should then only take 20 minutes or so. Using glue and wood shavings is a good idea in some situations but unfortunately, along the inletting it ends up looking like it was glassed in.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Chic:

I misread the original post. I thought he said he had a 1/16" gap at the rear only. After I found out he had extra wood from the blank I replied with:

Quote:

If you have big pieces you could make a piece that would fit into the inletting (very closely). Glue that in then re-inlet the triggerguard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I made a run at inletting my sunny-hill drop box mag, or rather it inletted me. The gap turned out to be only on one side for the most part, it was next to a dark line in the stock, or hell it could have been inletting black for all it know

It didnt take me long to forget about the gap next to the trigger gaurd. I had never inletted bottom metal with that much wood on the bottom, very difficult for a hobbiest. I had plenty of wood around the mag box, just not sure the stock was thick enough at the rear screw. I need to watch someone that has experince with drop boxs fit one. This was much harder than the typical bottom metal inletting.

I had to remove a lot of wood to get that wide floorplate to fit, it looked like a spit and whittle club from all the wood. I got plenty of pieces to fill that chicken shit gap.

My plan was to inlet it shallow and try to figure out what dept to set it at, but I set it way to deep, haveing to regroup and think about it.

I may have found my limit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem seems to be the metal is too small for the inletting, right? How about welding up the metal where it needs it and then taking it back down to where it fits. You can't weld the wood and you can't fill it to fit without a whole lot of bull$hit so just weld the steel with a mild steel rod and a Tig welder.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote