Find
Notify
Tools

Halfmoon handles, which do you like?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I got these from Jim yesterday. The one on the left is an Ordendorf style. The one one the right is ....ummmm, not sure.

The action is a Husky 1640. It'll have a #1 contour barrel on it. It'll be chambered in a .270WIN.

This will probably be the last custom I do for a long time so I don't need both. He said pick the one I want and send the other one and some money back. I'm leaning towards the Orbendorf, but what do you guy's think?

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the one on the right. If this is going to be a fairly light sporter, then you don't want a big ol' honkin' handle that would fit a stopping rifle. Always look for balance of pieces. Every part needs to work in harmony with the others to have the proper artistic balance of the whole.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I vote for the smaller.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I've had both the "small" and "large" in hand as well and it made me want a "medium" version. The small is just too small for my taste, but I might use it on a very light, trim rifle. Lobby Jim for a "medium" version - it'll help everyone out.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I think there is a medium version. Jim sent this with the handles. I think I have C and E. He said nobody liked E except him Big Grin I told him to send it on, if he liked it I wanted to see it.

Marc and Paul, I do see your point about it being big. Does this one look out of place though? It's big too and the rifle is petite.

I dunno, just trying to figure this out.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marc and Paul, I do see your point about it being big

Terry don't base to much on my opinion. Heck 75% of mine have the factory MKX swept handle.

ForrestB and many other probably have a better eye than I do. For my taste the one on the rifle is just a touch large. If between the first two is an option I would vote for that. I agree with ForrestB the right is a touch small but for me the left was way to big.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I have two of his Oberndorf handles and they aren't apprecibly bigger than a Talley. They just look soooo much nicer. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Oberndorf. It seems to fit in with your tastes overall.

I think that handle "E" is just a small handle, similar to what Midway sold at one time. Too small for my tastes but it ain't my rifle. Go with what pleases you the most.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry-

Ditto what Z1R said Smiler. I purchased three of the Oberndorf handles from Jim for various projects.

To me they look so much like Tom Burgess' handles that I don't think you could go wrong using the larger handle.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I've had both the "small" and "large" in hand as well and it made me want a "medium" version. The small is just too small for my taste, but I might use it on a very light, trim rifle. Lobby Jim for a "medium" version - it'll help everyone out.

Just out of curiosity, who is "JIM"?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Baiar-

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Jim's handles (and his rust blue too) but I think that he makes the shaft too thin where it meets the root or stub (whatever you want to call it) on the bolt itself. If you compare it to one of Tom Burgess's handles you would see that Tom's are just a bit thicker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ditto on 22wrf statement about Tom's being thicker. much better

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the one to the left, but ask him to trim it down over all a bit. I just don't like the shape of the ball on the little one, on a gun like this.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a real problem, early in my carreer, with making handles too small. A handle which looked pretty nice when the bolt was by itself, was to petit when installed in the receiver and even more so when the rifle was complete. I recently made up a bunch of Oberndorf style handles when I had access to a cnc lathe and left them a little bit fat. I can always dress them down a bit before installation if the rifle is to be a very slim one. I really admire a well finished handle and am seldom happy with mine. Ralph Martini does an excellent handle. Actually he bought a bunch of mine but they look better to me when he finishes them. Kind of depressing really. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
I had a real problem, early in my carreer, with making handles too small. A handle which looked pretty nice when the bolt was by itself, was to petit when installed in the receiver and even more so when the rifle was complete. I recently made up a bunch of Oberndorf style handles when I had access to a cnc lathe and left them a little bit fat. I can always dress them down a bit before installation if the rifle is to be a very slim one. I really admire a well finished handle and am seldom happy with mine. Ralph Martini does an excellent handle. Actually he bought a bunch of mine but they look better to me when he finishes them. Kind of depressing really. Regards, Bill.

Bill,
As I recall, you are a pretty good photographer. Lets see a photo of one of yours.

To me, the ultimate style is the David Miller style, which has been posted here before, but I will post a photo again for those that didn't see it the last time it was posted.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Terry, I like "B" the best. Of the 2 pictured at the top, I'd choose the larger and shorten the stem.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I like the knob shape of E, the length of C, but the shanks should all be thinner.
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39671 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few 'E' type handles from Jim's shop... but after seeing that picture of all the bolts lined up I think I like 'B' and particularly 'C' better.

As to the thicker shaft... I agree a little thicker would give a bit better flow I think. Smiler

Thanks for posting that pic TC1. Jim's catalog only has 2 bolt handles pictured and the side by side compairison helps alot!

Anyone have pics of a Burgess handle that could be posted for comparison?

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have a "C" here in front of me as well as a Burgess handle on my CZ550 Safari. They are so similar that the casual observer probably couldn't tell them apart. The Burgess handle is slightly less flat on the bottom of the ball. Thickness, & length are damn near identical.

Of course, the real key is to have them properly installed by someone who knows what they are doing.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote: DavidC: Anyone have pics of a Burgess handle that could be posted for comparison?

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

Beautiful work all of them. The mauser action is particularly eye catching and that bolt handle is top shelf.

Aside from shape & style of the bolt handles it is interesting to note where they 'hang' in relation to the trigger & shooters hand.

Thanks again.
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
David, since the 09 Peruvian is going to be an open sight sporter, I asked Mr. Burgess to replicate the bolt handle of an original Oberndorf sporter, which he did to perfection as is shown in the first photo. For a scope sighted rifle, something recessed like on the CZ550 or 22WRF's picture retains the classic straight stem Oberndorf tear drop shape but will clear a scope eyepiece.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'm giving you fair warning that I will steal that Peruvian at the first opportunity. It is just beautiful. You might want to chain it to your wrist when I'm around.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[
Bill,
As I recall, you are a pretty good photographer. Lets see a photo of one of yours.

To me, the ultimate style is the David Miller style, which has been posted here before, but I will post a photo again for those that didn't see it the last time it was posted.
[/QUOTE]
Actually, while I can take a reasonably good picture of a sleeping dog etc., I would hardly be called a "good photographer". On top of that, I never have posted a picture on a forum. I'll figure it out someday. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote