Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a 260 be rebored to a 6.5X284?

Posts: 210 | Location: Ncal | Registered: 02 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
but there's more to it than that. magazine and rails will be modified since the 284 is a fatter round

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Or,if you start with a .260 that is clip fed (did they make a .260 Rem 700-C?), you could likely just use a magazine box intended for a "fatter" round?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yes, for 100 fps gain, in the same length mag .. DO NOT BOTHER

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38640 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I think the gain is more than just 100 fps.
Sometimes the money and bother don't have to equate if it means getting what you want.
If its all about money or bother why wouldn't we all just be happy with off the shelf Remmies and Winnies instead we rebarrel, new trigger, etc etc until we have 900$ in a 400$ rifle.
You all know what I'm talking about.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I think a WSM/RUM cased iteration would be a much better choice if you are going to all that rail work trouble.

Optimize the case for the magazine length, have a reamer made and custom dies and you will REALLY start getting into velocity vs dollar cost equation. shocker Big Grin

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Snell
in a rifle built for a 260, 2.85" oal, the gain will be minimal... which is my point

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38640 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Snell
in a rifle built for a 260, 2.85" oal, the gain will be minimal... which is my point

I've got two 6.5x284's and they are absolute tack drivers, but they are on '06 lenght actions--Jeffe is right, just stick with the 260 unless you just want something different.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
A 6.5x284 NEEDS to be on a long action. For those long VLD bullets that it likes.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
There is about 10% difference between the 260 Rem and the 6.5-284 and the same between the 284 case and the WSM case.

Or if you REALLY??? wanted to comb your hair you could jump to the 264 Mag for an additional 10% gain...

You will gain about 2.5% velocity per 10% gain in case size...roughly speaking.

Playing in this field is always incremental...caliber wise, case wise, need wise, experience wise and so forth. That's why it's so much fun.

There are always choices to be made, questions to ask, experiments to do, things to prove an infinitum.

I have two Rem actions, a LA and a SA waiting for barrels...I can't seem to pick out which caliber or which action to do first. I decided to do a 260 Rem...bought the dies, have plenty of bullets, but which action???

I also built a Ruger SA 6mm-284 way, WAY back and used up 2-3 barrels on that one and wanted to do a 6.5-284 after the last 6mm barrel bit the dust...then the WSM case came out and that bug bit me.

I said "*%*#@$"...I'll build a 50 cal first, then a 20 Practical, then...MAYBE another 6.5 cal

Oh, Yeah...I have two 6.5x55 Swedes that keep me happy...so WHY build any of the others?????..BECAUSE...plus a Ruger switch barrel I thought about doing a 260 Rem and 358 Win just because I also have 308 Rem, 7mm-08, and 243 Win barrels for, just to round it out and make it even....somewhat.

I built two long throated 284 Wins way back...one on a Ruger Tang that was originally a 7x57 and just long throated the barrel to shoot the LONG 175 gr Sierra BT hunting bullet.

I had to single load the rounds, or single load the first full length round and futz with the load for the shorter magazine loaded rounds.

The other one an XP-100 action originally a 7mm BR...that one was literally a blast to shoot. That one is now a 7mm-08 with a BIG muzzle brake and it is STILL a blast to shoot, but not quite as brutal...

The 6.5 cal is an excellent bullet for almost all medium sized game and some of the bigger ones also...the Swedes like it for Moose...the 284 case is an excellent case for many reasons, even when it was hamstrung in the rifles it was originally produced in.

So...FWIW...whichever you decide to do or whatever case you pick, you will be in good company...and be sure to use a long action, seat the bullet out and use a one caliber neck grip, ~0.280"-0.290", to utilize all the case capacity you can.

Luck