New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel taper on 8mm Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm rebarreling a 98 Mauser in 8mm Mauser.

I want a light gun and I'd appreciate knowing the lightest, safe, practical taper. 2? 3?

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could get a #1 taper an dturn it down even more if you like. #2 & 3 is heavier than necessary, so only get that if you want the extra weight. Lilja was manking a #0 and if they still do that would be a good contour if you want to stick with a non-custom contour.

You can call barrle makers and tell them what you want and ask how much they will take it down. usually the fee for a custom contour is not that high

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have no idea what the contour is but my 8x57 Merkel double is .487 at 21" muzzle. This contour on a Bolt gun would indeed be LIGHT.They are only approx .911 at the breech so they can safely be VERY light.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I've #3s on my .30 and .338 and they are good rifles but they are not light & handy.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
Have no idea what the contour is but my 8x57 Merkel double is .487 at 21" muzzle. This contour on a Bolt gun would indeed be LIGHT.They are only approx .911 at the breech so they can safely be VERY light.

beerA GS friend of mine use to turn out light hunting rifles with the wall thickness at the muzzle being .075" to .085". Never heard any complaints.This seems to go along with your Merkel. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys

I have a Czech made small ring 1935 Peruvian mauser (in 7.65x53) that has a very light barrel, but proportioned much different from usual. Unless anyone tells me there is something wrong I'm going to use the same contour when I rebarrel it. It weighs just 4.85 lbs as a barreled action with bolt and bottom metal, and balances real nice.

The contour is shank 1.0" (this is a small ring) and this is carried for 1.87" as a reinforce. There is then a step to 0.905". The barrel is swamped (I think this is the right term) for 7.5" and is 0.610 at the muzzle Total length is 23.5".

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote