THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reamer 7x64 to .280 Remington...is it possible?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can one run a .280 Remington reamer through a 7x64 to convert it to .280 Remington? I am correct in assuming that in all dimensions the template of the 7x64 fits inside the template of the .280 Remington with no "odd bits" left outside the profile of the .280 Remington?

I know it sounds odd. However .280 cases here in UK are £30.00 per 100. 7x64 cases here in UK are £75.00 per 100. Ammunition in 7x64 approaching £1.50 (US $2.25 a bang)!

I can pick up a 7x64 very cheap...I think that one can understand why and a friend already has a surplus reamer in .280 Remington.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Comparing both chamber prints I don't see a reason, print wise, why you can't. They are close in a couple of areas. I might be tempted to pour a chamber cast and compare it to his 280 reamer to be sure.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
can't you just resize the 280 brass in the 7x64 dies?

it will PROBABLY clean up perectly, though the brenneke has a slightly higher shoulder, its diameter at the shoulder is smaller..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39695 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
enfieldspares,

I have done what jeffeosso said, many, many times.
I have had for 5 years a very nice Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK 7x64. Here was very difficult to obtain ammunition or cases by the way. Fortunately I was able to get 6 boxes of virgin .280 Remington cases. Just passing them in the 7x64 die and cutting the resulting longer neck by 3 or so milimeters I obtained perfect 7x64 cases and loaded them directly with full power loads without any fireforming. And performed like any original 7x64 case. You can do (I did it also) the same with 30-06 cases. After the 7x64 die, the resulting case has two shoulders and is less than 1 mm shorter than the 7x64 but, also, you can load them with full power loads from the start without any trouble.
Regards,

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to tell you that, perhaps, will be necesary to turn down the diameter of the neck because the 7x64 has a very thin neck material !

PH

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
enfieldspares

7x64 base / rim diameter measures a bit less than the .280 (FWIW)

Barry

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Yes, but that dimention is not critical. The neck diameter is much more important. Anyway, in my experience using .280 Rem or .30-06 for a 7x64 worked perfectly.
Regards,
PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off, I LOVE my 7x64. That said I can understnad your financially based desire. Not sure what the import issues might be but I buy VERY ecconomical 7x64 ammo and brass from Graff's here in the states ($23 / 50 cases today http://www.grafs.com/product/199764). S&B and Privi make quality components (and ammo) at half the price of American companies or Norma.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, just for shits and giggles I just ran a .270 case though the 7x64 sizing die, adjusted to bottom on the shell holder. There is still a small portion just ahead of the extractor groove that remains 0.003 oversize (compared to an actual 7x64 case). This is due to that (solid) portion of the case being in the shell holder. Tried it in my rifle and the (empty) case is now stuck in the chamber! Bolt will not close on a case so re-sized. Not to worry, I know enough not to force it and a cleaning rod will easily remove the stuck case. Point is though NO you cannot merely resize the (larger diameter) 30-06 size brass! To the orginal question however, this should indicate a .280 reamer should clean up the chamber if you really want to do it. Look for the Privi Partisan and S&B ammo first or even the cost in importing the brass from the states. Nobody can forsee the future, brass can last a long time and next year .280 ammo may be just as expensive!
beer

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote