Notify
Tools

Wood moisture meter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Is that the right term..

Anyone have a suggestion on a good meter to measure stock blanks. ebay has a digital meter with a 5%-40% range for about $30.

Rich

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Check out Harbor frieght tools.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I do water restoration in homes, This involves drying wood floors on occassion, The meter that most of our industry uses is a delmhorst, with a hammer probe, the hammer probe is used to measure the moisture of the wood below the surface, otherwise the surface of the wood will always show a false reading either more or less moisture content depending the conditions in the area. most wood floors are recommended to acclimate in the area they will be installed in for a month or so. I do have meters that will test below the wood that are non protruding but the only problem is they don't read much below about 10% moisture content. I would also recommend something that will read in the 2-3% range on the low side, without actually hammering into the stock blanks with these probes the only other thing I can say is leave the blanks acclimate for a month or so before working on them

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you've got 2 price choices, as i see it.. you can get a low end, low "imprint" one, or a much mroe money one.. and all of them won't tell you the exact picture.

I like the HF one... for $20, on sale, if you take at least 6 readings (i take generally 10) one on each side and end, and write it on the blank, and weigh the blank, you'll have a history of weight. I take two reading on the flat sides, and yeah, write them on the blanks.

Or, the other use, is to take a reading when you are roughing the stock out of the pattern. The aint perfect, but it does give you a "depth" reading of the moisture, and one might have read low on the surface, but the stock suddenly jumps to 4 more percent, it's a good warning flag.

always a good idea to take a reading after you've cut into the blank and roughed the pattern. If the moisture jumps, let it dry more.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.. good info.

Garrett Wade is close to me. They have one for $80~ Not sure it's any better than the HF item.

Rich

Garrett wade meter

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote