New
Find
Notify
Tools

Throat on a 416 Taylor
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Let me start out by saying my knowledge in this area is shaky -- I am a beginning reloader, and have never done chambered a rifle. But, I am having a 416 Taylor put together now, and was wondering about this --say nothing and let the gunsmith decide, or...

Would there be any practical advantage (i.e. lower pressure) to a long throat in a DGR that may see use in high temperature situations? Would it help velocity? And as I understand it, it will probably be some degree of detriment to accuracy (not a big deal in this case)?

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
A little too much throat on a 416 is better than not enough, there is NO reason to be concerned over a potential accuracy gain of a .25MOA in a DGR- BUT function is a MUST, if it don't work it won't matter how good it shoots! All fun stuff aside, a longer throat does delay the pressure spike, sometimes will allow an increase in velocity(more powder)because of that longer pressure curve, Talk it over with your gunsmith to be sure both of you are on the same page.

<redleg155>
posted
Todd,

Sound advice in the above post and I would second that. You might put together a few "dummy" rounds anyway so that the gunsmith can perfect feeding from the magazine. I offer you a thought of putting those rounds together with the bullet that you will be shooting so that the throat can be made long enough right from the start.

Just noticed you're from Dearborn, MI. Great state! I grew up just north of Toledo, OH in Temperance, MI. My family is planning to see your hometown's wonder museum in the spring this year -- the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village. My son, Gunnar, is in love with Thomas the Tank Engine which will be there in April.

Good luck with that 416 Taylor! I have the parts for one now - just need the time to get it going and finish another project first.

Best regards,

redleg

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
My Taylors throat is so long, I cannot get a Hornady 400gr RN seated long enough to touch the lands.

Even with just enough bullet in the case to keep from falling out, I don't hit the lands.

(no, it doesn't fit in the magazine, I was just trying to find the lands)

My 'smith told me he cut it too large by mistake. We decided to see if it would shoot though, and it does okay. Good enough for "dangerous game", but not varmints.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies; I will call the guy and see what he will do.

I don't really know , in actual measurement, what a standard length throat on this rifle would be -- what measurement should I aim for in a long throat -- 416 Weatherby length?

Thanks again,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redleg:

If you haven't already been there, I'm betting even you grownups will enjoy Greenfield Village. If you're spending a day or two at museums in Detroit, the Detroit Institute of Arts downtown is a must-see also.

When I first came here, it was just for school, then "outta here." I'm starting to like it though. I may be working part-time in Temperance soon -- I'm now working in Toledo.

Todd

<redleg155>
posted
Todd,

My wife and I were at Greefield in 1992 - loved the place. Many attractions near you too - the new Cabela's in Dundee is neat. I'm sure you've been there. If you're into shotgun shooting at all there is a decent range just west of Toledo called Toledo Trap and Skeet. It's about 20 minutes west of Toledo proper just off of route 20 (Central Ave.).

And, if you haven't been down to Findlay, Ohio you might want to stop by Jaqua's Fine Guns. A vault (literally) with a couple thousand shotguns and many nice rifles. http://www.jaquas.com If you're looking for something nice, you'll probably leave the store with much less $$ in your pocket.

redleg