One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brno.

flaco

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
http://www.cz-usa.com/about_cz_ub.php

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brno is a city in Czech Republic, the old Czeckoslovakia. Guns made by several factories were marketed under the BRNO brand.

Most guys pronounce it Bruno but according to my late father who was Czech it was more like Burno with a rolling R.

These days guns from the group that used to be called Brno are marketed under CZ.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brno.

flaco

there ya go with the spelling again...

beer

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to date a girl from Slovakia, and she pronounced it "brew-NO." Asked a couple of Czechs how the said it, and it was the same.

Of course over here we also can't agree on "toe-may-tow" vs. "ta-ma-tow."

Hell, I know several folks on this board and they can't hardley understand ANYTHING that I say! And that goes double if I talk to someone from North Louisiana for 5 minutes beforehand.

Even in my own family we don't agree on how to pronounce our last name.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont know how to pronounce my last name either...

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
I dont know how to pronounce my last name either...

Thats easy. It's seven clap

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
quote:
And that goes double if I talk to someone from North Louisiana for 5 minutes beforehand.

Marc

Now you know we say everything rite down here,it's the rest of the counrty that can't talk rite. Any way whats with the Europeans and thier conservitive use of voales any how? "Brno" come on theres som'tin miss'in there.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brno and CZ are two seperate companies, and have been since their origins near the end of WWI.

During the 1960's and 70's, the communist government insisted that the sporting rifles known as the 601, 602, etc, should be exported under the Brno name, even though they were being made by CZ (as the forerunners to the current 550 series).

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ has bought Brno back and will be marketing a line of rifles with that name sometime in the future.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still like my "Leo-polled" scopes and my "Socko" rifles.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BrrRR-noh

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39671 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Vince:
Brno is a city in Czech Republic, the old Czeckoslovakia. Guns made by several factories were marketed under the BRNO brand.

Most guys pronounce it Bruno but according to my late father who was Czech it was more like Burno with a rolling R.

These days guns from the group that used to be called Brno are marketed under CZ.

Yes. Many Czech words are spelled without vowels, which seem to be understood - so BRNO is bernO or burnO with the accent on the O......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
I still like my "Leo-polled" scopes and my "Socko" rifles.

Sako is in fact properly pronounced "Socko."

Brno is properly pronounced just the way it's spelled.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have spent many months in FInland. Most of my friends said "SOCK-oh", but a few did say "SAY-ko."

My Finnish girlfriend said either way was OK. Typical woman response-she let on like what ever I decided would be fine. That way she was sure to be able to tell me I was wrong no matter what I did!

Kinda like I was refferring to about how to pronounce my last name. Even in my family there are 2 ways to say "stokeld." There is the way I do it, and the stupid way many of my cousins, aunts, and uncles say it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Finnish girlfriend

quote:
I have spent many months in FInland. Most of my friends said "SOCK-oh", but a few did say "SAY-ko."

it's also the only word in their language that runs under 25 letters long.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
If SAKO is hard to pronounce you really ought to use the proper name instead of the abbreviation.

SAKO is in fact an abbreviation of Suojeluskuntain Ase ja KOnepaja. There you go. Pronounced just like its written

While we're at it we might aswell stop using RWS and spell it out: Rheinischen-Westfalischen Sprengstoff- und munitionsfabrike (I think..)

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh I know that "Socko" is the correct pronunciation. I had avery well educated customer tell me that. He was in my shop to complain about the terrible finish he got while using a cold blue product, that I sold him. Seems he failed to read the instructions and tried to reblue his "Socko" while still in the wood. He told me "They pronounce it "Socko" to make sure no one confuses them with the watch makers, Seiko." I was sure to listen to every word from then on.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote