One of Us
posted
How does a 3 position safety work exactly

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
fire, safe, safe and locked bolt
there is a pin in the bolt shroud that engages with a hole in the bolt body, making it where the bolt can't be cycled when in rearmost position (usually rearmost)

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You put it in the forward position, pull the trigger, the firing pin drops and the rifle fires.

You put it in the center position, pull the trigger, the firing pin stays locked back, the rifle does not fire, and when you put the safety to off the rifle still does not fire. (if installed correctly) The bolt can be cycled to unload cartridges in this position.

You put it in the back position, the bolt is locked in position and will not operate, pull the trigger, the firing pin stays locked back, the rifle does not fire, and when you put the safety to off the rifle still does not fire. (if installed correctly)

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
But how it works, exactly, is that the safety lever cams the cocking piece back, away from the sear, thereby holding it so that even if you pull the trigger, it does not fire since the cocking piece is not touching the sear.
Yes, it has to be precisely fitted, otherwise it will fire when you push the safety off, if you have pulled the trigger.
Not something for the timid or careless, or those with no fine mechanical skill, to try to install.
And it does have a bolt lock, but that has nothing to do with the function of the safety itself.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
But how it works, exactly, is that the safety lever cams the cocking piece back, away from the sear, thereby holding it so that even if you pull the trigger, it does not fire since the cocking piece is not touching the sear.
Yes, it has to be precisely fitted, otherwise it will fire when you push the safety off, if you have pulled the trigger.
Not something for the timid or careless, or those with no fine mechanical skill, to try to install.
And it does have a bolt lock, but that has nothing to do with the function of the safety itself.

And if the safety is very difficult to engage??? Can it be determined with some measurements from a dial indicator what needs to be done to address the issue? (I know how the bolt lock works)

KJK

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nope; there are no measurements that will help. I fit them like the Pinball Wizard does.
A hard to operate safety is fixed intuitively by knowing how the system works and how each component interfaces. There is nothing to measure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nope; there are no measurements that will help. I fit them like the Pinball Wizard does.
A hard to operate safety is fixed intuitively by knowing how the system works and how each component interfaces. There is nothing to measure.

The Pinball Wizard, Deaf, Dumb, and Blind (the Who) plays by a sense of smell! Obviously there is something that is too long. One part or another (or maybe both). The question is which one is it or is it both?

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my M70s the safety got harder and harder to operate until it just wouldn't go on at all.

dpcd did a great job of fixing it! Smiler

Hip

Posts: 1885 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things that happen to a safety.

Customer sends me the barreled action and I fit the safety to his metal.
When he gets it back and puts the metal back in the stock ???? the safety no longer works
Simple fix, re-inlet the bolt handle notch in the stock to clear the bolt handle properly

Customer takes the firing pin assembly out cleans it and re-installs it.
Safety will not work
Another simple fix, screw the sleeve/firing pin unit in the last thread

Even changing the trigger to another unit once the safety has been it is properly fitted to the first trigger can mess the timing up between the parts

Old 30 weight oil after years turns into shellac and makes thing very hard to work

Had a 1948 Mfg, M70 come in a year ago, with the thumb buster safety lever, and was hard to work.
OK I had 4 other later factory safety levers, but only one fitted the sleeve the best.
Some one had had worked over the trigger/sear.
The trigger pin was only part way in the receiver, so the trigger flopped around, and they had set the over travel TOO TIGHT
So some clean up and proper adjustment I had it back and going with a 3 1/2 pull and a nice working safety

have seen angles on the side of the cocking piece ALL OVER the place.
Winchester set that angle at 30 degrees off the dry fire face, yes I have the blue print to prove it

This is just the tip of the iceberg

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Point is that no one can tell you any one thing to measure in order to fit or correct/fix, a Model 70 type safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well then, has anyone had any experience sending their model 70 to the Arnold, MO. repair and service facility.

KJK