New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber action vs. Win. M70 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard that the Kimber actions are very close to the Win. M70 actions.

Is this true?

How do they differ?

Posts: 109 | Location: MS | Registered: 25 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The big difference is that the Kimber is a round receiver a'la Remington and uses a similar washer type recoil lug. Whereas The M70 is a flat bottomed side-rail type receiver with an integral recoil lug.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are and I believe the major difference is the bottom metal, which is all one piece.

I admit to not having had one out of the stock, and bow to Mr. Reed's knowledge but what I did say about them was accurate. The bolt and the safety are at least, look alikes as is the claw extractor.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me, any similarities between a Kimber and a Model 70 CRF are purely superficial. Yes, they are both CRF with three-position safeties. So is the Ruger M77 Mk II.

Besides the afore-mentioned differences in the action bottom and recoil lug, there are other major differences, IMHO.

One, the trigger. The Model 70 has a unique trigger, being simple, rugged and reliable. The Kimber trigger in no way resembles a Model 70.

Two, the Model 70 features a field-strippable bolt, with out any tools required. I've looked at Kimber bolts, and danged if I can figure out how they come apart, course I'm a slow learner. But whatever, in no way do they resemble a Model 70, in this feature.

No doubt, there are many other design features one could come up with that are different. The Kimber is it's own design, it is not a Model 70. Why do Kimber owners want to believe that a Kimber is a Model 70 clone? A Kimber most definitely is not a "clone". If an individual wants a Model 70, get one, or one of the actual clones, like a Dakota or an MRC, or a Hein. If someone likes their Kimber, fine and dandy, just quit worrying about if it's a Model 70 in disguise. Cause it ain't. IMHO of course! Smiler

beer

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mudstud:
To me, any similarities between a Kimber and a Model 70 CRF are purely superficial. Yes, they are both CRF with three-position safeties. So is the Ruger M77 Mk II.

Besides the afore-mentioned differences in the action bottom and recoil lug, there are other major differences, IMHO.

One, the trigger. The Model 70 has a unique trigger, being simple, rugged and reliable. The Kimber trigger in no way resembles a Model 70.

Two, the Model 70 features a field-strippable bolt, with out any tools required. I've looked at Kimber bolts, and danged if I can figure out how they come apart, course I'm a slow learner. But whatever, in no way do they resemble a Model 70, in this feature.

No doubt, there are many other design features one could come up with that are different. The Kimber is it's own design, it is not a Model 70. Why do Kimber owners want to believe that a Kimber is a Model 70 clone? A Kimber most definitely is not a "clone". If an individual wants a Model 70, get one, or one of the actual clones, like a Dakota or an MRC, or a Hein. If someone likes their Kimber, fine and dandy, just quit worrying about if it's a Model 70 in disguise. Cause it ain't. IMHO of course! Smiler

beer

Well said & true IMO.

Also the Kimber recoil lug is a slip-in type,Remington is joined between the action & barrel.So Remington is better to my way of thinking.Model 70 & the likes of the Mark V have a LARGE CHUNKY LUG integral with the action,many others don't.Why because it cost allot more to produce.

Saying that I think Kimber set-up in a whole is a fine system,a clone to the venerable Model 70 No WAY.

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mudstud, to pull a kimbers bolt to peices, well to basically pull the guts out all you do is fully cock the bolt, put the safety in the middle, take the bolt out of the action and unscrew it by keeping a hold of the shroud and the main part of the bolt. thats the easiest bit to take off really.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul from nz:
mudstud, to pull a kimbers bolt to peices, well to basically pull the guts out all you do is fully cock the bolt, put the safety in the middle, take the bolt out of the action and unscrew it by keeping a hold of the shroud and the main part of the bolt. thats the easiest bit to take off really.

Sounds very easy & simple,perfect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean when you say the recoil lug on the Kimber is a "slip in type"? The ones I have looked at were clamped between the barrel and receiver just like the Remington. One dofference is that the Kimber lug is recessed into the front of the receiver so it doesn't turn when the barrel is installed. Pretty clever, I thought.
The early Kimbers were somewhat similar to a M70 but the new models bear no resemblance. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With respect field stripping the bolt, one detail that Kimber is missing is a bolt sleeve lock. Maybe I'm being finicky but I could see if one is not careful that the bolt sleeve could loosen from the bolt body if the removed from the rifle in this condition. Just a thought...

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
What do you mean when you say the recoil lug on the Kimber is a "slip in type"? The ones I have looked at were clamped between the barrel and receiver just like the Remington. One dofference is that the Kimber lug is recessed into the front of the receiver so it doesn't turn when the barrel is installed. Pretty clever, I thought.

I stand corrected homer ,I'm sure the were the slip in type.Anyone have a pic of this????

Thanks for the info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry that some of these pics are a little blurry but I think they might answer some of the questions asked here:

Again sorry some are blurry but hopefully you can see that the Kimber disassembles like an M-70 except that it uses a Detent ball to hold the pin in alignment instead of a slot. You hopefully can also see how the front of the recever covers the top of the separate recoil lug etc...........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
Great shot Chuck Wink .

Yep that's a very solid recoil-lug design IMO thumb .

dj,looks to be a very simple bolt-strip thumb .

All in all these Kimbers seem to have the goods from what I can see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great info.

Buck,

Posts: 109 | Location: MS | Registered: 25 May 2006Reply With Quote