Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom stock defects - what to do?
 Login/Join

posted
I have been waiting 7 months for the completion of my custom stock. I have had good communication from the stockmaker and they let me know of a couple delays and were good to their word on the approximate date it would be done. Well I received it today and am dissappointed. This is my first custom stock and I am not sure what to expect when I let them know of the defects I see on monday. 1st and most glaring, there is a half inch overrun on the checkering of the grip on the right side, hard to miss when you look at it. 2nd the finish on the cheek piece doesn't look as smooth as the rest of the stock, looks like there is adhesive or something in / on the finish and 3rd there is a "dent" in the stock, bigger than a pin hole but smaller than an 18ga nail.

This is on a AAA Claro stock. Do I ask for a new stock and wait another 7 months after I choose the blank or is is possible to repair these invisibly?

Looking for guidance from anyone with custom stockmaking, purchasing experience.

Thanks
CJ

Posts: 11 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Can you post photos of your new stock?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, in reverse order...

I could live with a small, slightly larger than a pinhead, "dent". I'm sure I'd put a few more character marks on it anyway.

I'm not so sure about the finish flaw. It can probably be fixed semi-easily, depending on what finished was used. But... it should've been fixed before it was shipped.

Now, a half inch over-run? That one would bug me the most. Not having seen it, I can only speculate, but I'm betting that one's going to be a bit trickier to fix. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that on a factory production gun...

Who did the stock work? And how much do you have in it? (You can be general if you like.).

Is it a local 'smith, that you can talk to face-to-face, or a distant mail order type arrangement, that requires shipping and phone calls to hopefully get your point across?

As for whether to have it redone, try to fix it, or just suck it up, that's a hard call as well. What's the stock on? A high dollar custom "showpiece", or a hunting rig? Is it worth another seven months? That one's up to you, depending on the answers to the above questions.

It sucks though to have that much time (and probably money) in it & then be let down like that.

I'm interested to see how they handle it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What really sucks is the fact that the stock maker had the balls to let out it the door in that condition. I live in small town and specialize in residential home interior remodeling and restoration. If I pulled shit like that in my work, it wouldn't take long before I had no work.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
D Humbarger - I don't have a place to put the pic on the web, sorry.

Cold Bore - the "dent" doesn't bug me too much because it is a hunting rig and like you said I will probably put worse on it eventually. The Stockmaker is a few states away, nice folks, I hope they continue to be after the conversation on monday. The finish I think can be fixed, its not too bad but noticible if you hold it at an angle in the light. The overrun, WOW, I saw that and though I must be seeing things... I have upwards of 1200 in the stock.

Craigster - One of my questions will be, don't you look at these before you ship them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would send it back and make them fix it,yeah it sucks to have to wait.The checkering mess up would be a big deal with me,especially the amount of money you have put out.

Posts: 91 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
CW,
i would run over to wally world, pick up a 30 $ digital camera, and have the kid downthe street show me how to send them an email, with the pictures, and ask them what they plan to do to fix this, to your satisfaction.

But, I'll be dead honest, I wouldn't throw this around much on the internet until i had given them an opprotunity to answer it.

So, yes, there's a problem, and you are seeking advice, that's fine imho.. but don't post pics and/or names until this is a little more resolved...

just my opinion, and worth about what you pay for it

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39620 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$1200 ? ... Well what if you look at it as $1200 of soul and miner flaws that give character. Big Grin Or is it that bad?

Like to see some pictures.

Is it in general real bad workmanship, or miner flaws of hand work that give it character as oppose to machine stampedcheckering that is perfect?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso - Definitely would NOT mention names etc until I give them a chance to respond. As this is my first experience with getting a stock made I just don't know what to expect for a remedy and thought I might get some advise here. I plan to take pics and email them so they can see what I describe on the phone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
cw, wow!! that is a heart breaker.. I would do as jeffe said and give them some pictures and voice your concerns. Give them a chance to explain why it left their shop with these defects. Mad
If you get no satisfaction after that, then is the time to bring it public. Good luck

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
CW,
certainly.. wouldn't think of telling a man what to do in his business, but as part of the advice asked for, i think that giving the maker a reasonable chance to fix it is in order.

if there is no fix, and you have no chance of resolution, then have at it!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39620 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote