New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Stock Machine is UP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Go to a 3/4" flat bottom cutter (slightly radius the corners) for your outside cuts. If you have the power to spin 'em you'll get a much smoother surface without all the little ridges. My North Star cuts four at a time with these cutters,and I use them to cut to +.020 to + .062 depending on pattern and finish requirements. Keep the cutter on the uppermost part of the work for each pass, think... the line farthest from the floor. You'll find yourself following the contours to the right and left of center as you cut. That keeps the flat of the cutter on the uppermost point of the finished contour. Hard to explain...easy (natural) to do when you get to cutting. Enjoy the machine and the work. Looks like a well thought out cutter and should do an excellent job.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

way cool, good job.

When is that fine piece of bastone going under the blade.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what pattern in that

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Jeffeoso, you're the man. Everybody in Houston will be beating a path to your door when you get it tuned and ready.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of using a 3/4... just started with a 1/2... as that's what I normally start with when I am working on an unknown metal in my BP... the pin/quill/stylus is .050 over sized....

I am going to be videoing it, and talking to the camera, so I can review which bits work best.

Billy,
you know, I'll be REALLY open for biz with that bastogne goes in... it's Jana's stock.. and my a$$ if it's screwed up. That's east texas walnut... can you say a couple hidden checks

Jeff,
Thanks.. as we all know, women are far better at detail work than men... and this is going to be Jana's machine, once it's tuned.... Then next summer, perhaps, she'll take a checkering class, to boot.!!!

night fellas
jeffe

Posts: 39604 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
okay...

two test stocks...

the quill (router and stylus) are .054 too wide

the tailstock is .022 too wide...

so, I'll be pulling and tig'ing and recuting these in the next couple days...

DANG IT the secound stock looks WAY much better than the first...

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

I may be going to my office in Houston tomorrow afternoon or Tue afternoon. Can I come see it. I promise not to bring wood.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy,
come up today (monday!)

jeffe

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'd like to come up and see that beast too!

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Forrest, and everyone else...

Ya'll wanna come up Sunday?

jeffe

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I can't come til sometime after Thanksgiving. Would like to visit afterwards, just about any day OK.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to see it also, but I am taking my son-in-law deer hunting this weekend.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Glen,
I'll just have to setup a group visit!!

jeffe

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Jeffe going to the range Saturday. Hopefully BobC and Forrest and Mark are going with me. Wanna join us?

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Wow, Jeff! Really Cool. I'm impressed.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I imagine that you're going to be set up at the next Houston gun show selling contoured blanks? Huh.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I doubt i get a table yet.. I think we will need 5 to 10 blanks, each, to be ready for that... so i've got some on order!!

the only thing i dislike about it is that it's not school.. and it is my money... but, i would FAR rather learn on my dime

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I am glad to see that you are getting close to running stocks. The whole idea for me posting about my machine was to create an interest in small shop stock making projects. I have had lots of inquiries over the past several months. I hope that more people get involved and hope to be able to see your machine with the improvements. When my original machine was built, I wanted it to be portable and small. My North Star duplicator was too large so I sold it and designed one for my purpose. Keep up the good work and after we finish fishing this fall I will try to rewrite the Cd so more can understand the projects. It is not complete enough for most beginner's in machine work. See you later, Les Brooks

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Jeffy

I know if you have to ask you can't afford it, but about what do you think you have in it now? I know your a crafty guy and that aways helps in lowering costs. Looks great though.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
You need to comeover to the house so I can show the stocks my buddy turns up in Oregon the one on my 25-284 he had to do without a pattern. He knows a guy over in the valley who cuts him real good deals on wood, real nice wood I should say.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
I can't quite see what you made on that change without the pic's. I suppose you are ref'ing the control arm. That control is the heart of the machine. Without control it will have a mind of it's own.

We are in the process of moving into a larger place and keep my motorhome. It comes with a shop, large patio, and a beer garden. Maybe we can have a get together there after the first of the year to have a stock JAW secession. Les

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Les,
I would love that!!! I'll put the machine on the trailer, and my wife and I would come on up.

I tried it without any for of true control... and yep.. it goes all about the place. I am currently figuring on how to using a "bike brake" type setup on my locking collars... would make life easier.

I left drawings at home, both yours and mine, so I won't be on that today...

I am to the point that another 3 or 4 patterns being cut, I'll feel fairly confident and will probably start working on better wood.

Not jana's stock yet, BILLY!!!

jeffe

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Another update...

Mike and I have been busy in HIS shop, designing, prototyping and finishing some new parts. I am hoping to have "the machine" gr2 (general rev) up this coming weekend....

I've done quite extensive changes, and expect a week or two of tweaks afterward..... I do know that NOW the total error in the system, assuming a perfect tool setting, is .0025"... that's ONE sheet of onion paper fellas.....

I'll be turning some of my pattern blanks in the coming 21 days or so, and then offering a new biz special...

And I'll be having an open shop day if you fellas want to come up, say the first weekend in feb.

normal pricing
I believe that $100 a tad under the going rate, and for duplicating YOUR pattern on your blank will be there... alterations will be more, though.. like LOP, cheek piece etc....

the first 10 individual customers (thats a person) will receive a special discount... There's 3 in the que right now.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com