THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which one.. half dozen of one or 6 of another?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering what the differences are between an Interarms MK-X and a Husqvarna 640 action. I understand they are both commercial M98 design and most of the 640’s are not D&T and are of an earlier vintage than the Mk-X.

Are there any obvious choices of one or the other for the basis of a custom rifle?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Easy choice, and a ton of differences; most significantly, the country and years of manufactures. All Husky 98s are made at FN; Sweden never made a 98.
The MKX were made in Yugoslavia and are not as well finished.
Buy the FN/Husqvarna EVERY TIME.
True, they were not factory drilled.
Oh, nothing wrong with the MKX; I have used a lot of them, and in fact started in 1970 building rifles on Herters J9s, which was actually a MKX.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and I'd go the other way -- if faced with this choice, I'd go MkX IF it has the in the trigger bow floorplate release -

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ah; I wasn't thinking about that; if you want the hinged floor plate instead of the military one, yes, the MKX has that feature.
I pay no attention to such things, using military bottom metal for my own rifles.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Husqvarna 46 is a Swede produced 96
Husqvarna 146 is a Swede built 98 on a pre war FN action.

Husqvarna 640 is still a "true" 98 action, FN produced, what some refer to as a "double broach" which is a misnomer, this action is a FN "Supreme" action, though there are lots of options and variations. Some have hinged bottom metal and some do not.

Stay away from the 1640's in my opinion. They were the last version and not a true 98.

I would, do, and many times have, chosen a 146 over anything else. Machining is FAR better than a Mark X. Fit and finish is far better than a Mark X. Slap a 1909 bottom metal on it and you have a fantastic action.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1507 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote