New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acraglass Gel - strange
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased Brownell's small kit from a local gunshop saturday. Removed the plastic wrap and pulled the sealer from both resin and hardener tubs.
The resin was hard. Not crystalline and fudgy, but just a hard mass that I poked a toothpick down into and confirmed it was hard down into the middle of its depth.
Hmmmm, must be a bad production batch or really ancient product thought I.
Today I took it back into the gun shop to return it and unscrewed the lid to show them the contents and the resin was of perfect consistency. Not sugary, just perfectly smooth and ready to use. And me sounding like an idiot who imagines things as I try to tell them why I wanted to show them my resin.

Is this a common occurance with acraglass gel? I'be bought 5 or so kits over the years and never seen such goings on.

Mike

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that .. call brownell's..

oh, yeah, and switch to marinetex grey!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience with industrial epoxy I bought at a surplus store it had hardened in the tube the owner told me to put in boiling water- that softened it up and it worked fine may be it got warm in the car/house??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I have seen this problem. Just put it in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds. All hardness and crystallization will disappear.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same trouble with some old Acraglas gel. I called Brownell's and they told me to try putting it in either hot or cold (I forget)water for a length of time and see if it would soften up. They also replaced the whole set that I had bought even though they were the large size and had been used a lot. They said it didn't matter. I paid for so many ounces and I should have gotten as many ounces that I paid for. For the record their instructions worked and salvaged the Acraglas Gel.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1619 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huh. Whooda thunk it. Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
welcome to the gunsmithing forum where people actually think, unlike the political forum Big Grin bewildered

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:
I purchased Brownell's small kit from a local gunshop saturday. Removed the plastic wrap and pulled the sealer from both resin and hardener tubs.
The resin was hard. Not crystalline and fudgy, but just a hard mass that I poked a toothpick down into and confirmed it was hard down into the middle of its depth.
Hmmmm, must be a bad production batch or really ancient product thought I.
Today I took it back into the gun shop to return it and unscrewed the lid to show them the contents and the resin was of perfect consistency. Not sugary, just perfectly smooth and ready to use. And me sounding like an idiot who imagines things as I try to tell them why I wanted to show them my resin.

Is this a common occurance with acraglass gel? I'be bought 5 or so kits over the years and never seen such goings on.

Mike

If the store you bought it from had it sitting on the shelf for a very long time, what you found will happen. But, do as the guys aboive have mentioned and you're set to go.