New
Find
Notify
Tools

WD oil for bluing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been using Dulite Quickseal for my after bluing oil bath. I'm wanting to try something different that I can get locally to avoid the shipping/hazmat charges. What will work? I can get WD40 in the gallon cans. Has anyone tried
that?

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
ATF cut with diesel. 30% diesel the rest ATF fluid. Works very well.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
ATF cut with diesel. 30% diesel the rest ATF fluid. Works very well.

Bill is spot on with that recipe. It works like a charm.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark

I have used WD40 as a displacing oil for the same reason, Cost. I mixed one gallon with one quart of ATF. Worked great for me.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Brownells suggests that you do not use WD40
it is made from FISH OIL
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39671 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been using WD for some time and is getting up there in price. Great idea Bill.

Mike

Posts: 8 | Location: Western Michigan | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Brownells suggests that you do not use WD40
it is made from FISH OIL
jeffe

Cool! That's a new one to add to the fables surrounding WD40.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Here's what brownells says on WD40
quote:
Especially avoid WD-40 on ‘virgin’ bluing. After the bluing has ‘cured’
for a few days, it is then perfectly safe and advisable to use the modern
wonder oils, if you wish.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/General/DisplayPDF.aspx?f=Inst-113.pdf

And the guys that use it on their fishing baits is fairly well known...

i have heard it's alot meheyden (sp) oil

I use ATF 50%, Kerosene 20%(sp) and hydraulic oil 30% ....

a buddy uses straight 90 weight... and another straight ATF

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39671 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked the MSDS for WD40 and there is no mention of anything like fish oil. it is a plain old mineral oil product.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_bulk.us.pdf

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mark

I thought you were indisposed since I havent heard much from you.

My favorite is plain ATF, seems to work very well, much better than Brownells water displacement oil which leaves varish like brown specs all over everything.

I think in a lot of cases the gun parts continue to darken to some degree while left to hang overnight and that the use of anything with a strong rust preventive such as WD-40 will definately inhibit such chemical action.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is an oil bath only required after hot chemical bluing or is it also a good idea to use oil after slow rust bluing?

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not use an oil bath after rust bluing. While the barrel is still hot from the last boil, I wax it with a good floor wax, but wiping down with a decent gun oil is really all that's needed. Boiling stops any corrosive action so dunking in oil etc is unnecessary.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Freddy! Yeah, I've been indisposed. Chained to my bench by hunters that don't plan ahead. Lots of last minute Remington auto rifles that don't work. The ones I really like bring me a gun to blue (and stock refinish?) in early October. Then call 3 weeks later to ask "I am going to have that by opening day, right? It's my only gun.". By then it's torn down, in the white, waiting for the rest of the batch to get ready. I'm thinking "that would have been good information to have before I started!".

Oh well, such is life. I'm thinking about shutting the door in October next year and not opening back up until January or February. It might keep me from being more of a curmudgeon than I already am.

Mark Pursell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago one of the techs at Brownells told my neighbor who used to blue quite a bit at that time that the best alternative to the oil they sold was light hydraulic oil. He took the advice and has used it exclusively since with no problems.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used WD40 on fresh bluing right out of the rinse tank for years with Brownells salts with no problems ever.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
It would probably be safe to say I've got more blueing in hot tanks under my belt than probably anyone else on this forum, due to the nature of the parts and how many we manufacture.

Everything that has been mentioned so far, will work, but I threw all that stuff out the window nearly 15 years ago when we started using Rem Oil. You can buy it at any sporting good store and it works like a charm.

Parts that we blue sometimes are inventoried for months before they leave. I've yet to ever have any rust problems whatsoever.

In fact, parts that we shipped USRAC back in the first quarter of 2006 are still sitting on shelves, but they're in South Carolina now, waiting to go on the new model 70's. Still wrapped up in plastic and cardboard and while I was there, we took a few out and they still look just as good as the day we shipped them out.

The stuff isn't very expensive and there's no need to soak steel in any kind of lubricant. A simple and ample spray will take care of the problem. It's not going to soak in, so you're kinda just amuzing yourself by soaking it. Sometimes it becomes easier to do it that way if you don't have the oil in an aerosol, but Rem Oil takes care of that problem too.

Keep in mind that these are simply my reccomendations for hot blue and not rust blue, which I neither have the time or inclination to do.

There's always been a lot of smoke and mirrors around hot blueing and how long to leave the parts in for.....what temps and for how long in each temp....what water-displacing oil to use, etc., but it's pretty damn simple.

I can teach someone to blue like a pro in a afternoon with a willing student. With the exception of only a couple of my employees, they've all been taught by me to blue parts. Easy stuff when you know what the rules really are.

beer

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote