New
Find
Notify
Tools

benchtop vertical mill
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm interested in obtaining a small benchtop vertical milling machine for small projects. I'd like to use it for such things as milling out the action inletting on stock blanks. An old gunsmith I knew had one and it looked very handy. Are there numerous older models available vs. the many new ones currently offered, and would you first look at older units vs. the new ones? thank you.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy a round column

Square only

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Square only

This^^^^^^^

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, I needed to get a milling machine so I bought a bench top mill, didn't take long to realize what a mistake I made and sold it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Excel EC30B made in Taiwan. It is a clone of the RF30. These machines are not production machines. Seem to work fine for small projects, hobby use, light cuts. My machine does not like cuts over .030.

Their biggest limitation is that you lose your alignment if you have to move the head during a project. There are ways to compensate for this. Preplanning the tooling that you will use during a project is a must. I use the longest tool method for project planning. The Lazy Machinist has a you tube video on this. I also have my machine set up for ER32 collets. ER collets give you the most room to change tooling. I have had my machine for around 4 years and so far I have never had to move the head to change tooling.

You can do high quality work on these machines but it will be a slow process compared to using a full size mill like a Bridgeport.

What it boils down to is what you intend to use it for. Figure that out and then buy what suits your needs. Not somebody else's needs.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
We had to use a bench top Enco round column mill at Trinidad for roughing the inletting out for our first stock from a blank. This was in '89. Stock came out great. Never used that Enco mill again. Ed Shulin, the stockmaking instructor thought we should learn on something we could afford right out of school. He had one in his shop at home.

Would I buy one for my shop? Probably not, but I'm not your average hobby guy either. If someone found one locally for a good price so they could putter around their hobby shop, it might be worth considering.

My first mill was a Hardinge TM/UM Horizontal with a vertical attachment. Limited travel in XYZ but the spiral milling attachment can cut a helix. Drilling using the knee is no picnic as there is no quill.

Bridgeport/clone is the goto mill in my shop but I've installed a Prototrak 2axis CNC on it and use that feature constantly. Still got the Hardinge, but it gets the boot the minute I get a 4th axis on my Milltronics RH19.

When you're buying big chunks of iron you can get carried away and spend a bunch just on the accessories.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yep - the main reasons why are both rigidity and repeatability - I've used both .. the round columns slip, twist

a couple more recommendations
do NOT buy a 3 in 1 combo machine

get something with an r8 taper - morse 2 or 3 aren't as common

never use a drill chuck to hold an endmill .. not even on wood ..

DROs, even cheap ones, are worth their weight in gold

buy at least 1 size larger than you think you'll need

you vise and work holding is at least as important as the mill itself

quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Square only

This^^^^^^^

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a round column years ago, it was what I could afford at the time, and it's OK for light work as stated above. I solved the repeatability issue by epoxying a laser pointer on the head and and marking a verticle line on the opposite wall, about 12 feet away, with a sharpy. If I have to move the head I just put the dot on the line and I'm good to go. And yes, get R-8, a decent vice and a DRO, especially for the Z axis.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusnok was a popular machine at one time, as were Atlas and Burke.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is cost or space the issue?

There are very few bench top millers worth having in my opinion, most are pretty old and obscure.

A small Van Norman or Hardinge would be a better choice in my opinion. The smallest bridgeports, even round rams, are cheap and available, and tooling (R8) is dirt cheap.

If I was going to start a small hobby shop and space was limited, I would probably buy a Moore #3 Jig Borer. They can be found dirt cheap in great condition, tooling is available, albeit a little pricey, everything is exceptional quality, and most have DRO's fitted at some point in their life.

When I started my shop I bought a Cincinatti Toolmaster, a much better machine than your standard bridgeport. Cost me $1000, but the tooling is a short 40 taper quick change. So in the 10+ years I've owned it, I've never seen any for sale.

Course if I could only have one mill, it would be my K&T 2d. Not exactly bench top Big Grin

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I saw a rusnok in a knifemaking book. cute

quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Rusnok was a popular machine at one time, as were Atlas and Burke.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/...g-machine-40939.html

Something like this? Has a crank for up and down.
$1900

I bought the Grizzly GO796, $6000

They have one like the HF G0678 for $3750

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget your x travel .. working on stocks you sometimes want to mill out the barrel channel so you need at least 14" of x travel to do that.

Buy a vintage Rockwell vertical mill, it's not as big as the full size Bridgeport but it's a very good knee mill. You won't regret your decision. Uses R8. Needs 3 phase but you can buy a $100 converter. It's actually the perfect gunsmithing mill.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the dovetail column benchtop models that Grizzly sold; it was the G0619 or G0463 I think. 1 HP. Decent x and y travel (6x17, maybe?). It's true that if I wasn't going to have to move and had 3 phase or a 3 phase converter and had more room, I would rather have a Bridgeport. The Grizzly will make pretty heavy cuts, but it will shake in heavy cuts even though I've weighted and leveled the table it's on. There's some deflection that's hard to avoid, even on lighter cuts. But I still really like it. It's super useful compared to a drill press. And it's great for milling out stocks. Takes R8 tooling. I'd buy it again.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I bought a well used Bridgeport Knee mill bout 10 years ago for $700. It has some wear but I don't make alot of high precision cuts as with the lathe so as long as you know your machine you can compensate to some degree. It works for me especially for inletting etc. I'd rather have a used larger mill than a new bench top model.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In have a RF45 (dovetailed column) in the basement. Uses R-8 collets. Have used it to inlet stocks, mill reamer blanks, make scope mount bases, flute barrels, mill octagons, and bore rod eyes on hydraulic cylinders. I would rather have a Bridgeport but no way to get one into the basement. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3782 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish I'd kept a Fry bench top mill heavy, dovetailed, power X feed, fairly easy to convert to vertical

Made in small numbers by Harold Fry out of Berkeley CA in tghe 50-60's

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote