New
Find
Notify
Tools

carving a laminated stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've read through Les Brooks big stockmaking thread, plus several dozen threads I found with search engines, my old copy of Dunlap's book, etc.

The particular stock I have to work with is a semifinished laminated piece. It needs all of the inletting done.

So far I've found very little about working with laminates. Is there anything special I should watch out for? Or will just making sure all my tools are kept honed sharp enough?

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRX:
I've read through Les Brooks big stockmaking thread, plus several dozen threads I found with search engines, my old copy of Dunlap's book, etc.

The particular stock I have to work with is a semifinished laminated piece. It needs all of the inletting done.

TRX,

Good on you for wanting to do an inlet by hand. I have done a few using the Les Brooks method and more using roughed out blanks. Don't know about a laminate, though. I am suspecting you will discover grain running all over the house, but not unlike some typical stock woods of the one piece variety. Keep chisels, gouges, scrapers and knives as sharp as you can. Patience and good inletting black or gold will help immensely. Don't expect to fit the metal in a weekend. Try for zero tolerance in your wood-to-metal fit. Can not put it back on.

Best of luck, keep posting and welcome to the forum.

Stephen

So far I've found very little about working with laminates. Is there anything special I should watch out for? Or will just making sure all my tools are kept honed sharp enough?

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
I've been told the hardest thing working with laminate is inconsistent texture, hard, soft, hard, soft, checking is difficult.

Regards S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i found that chisels don't work as well as does sanding.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Splits pretty easily too, kinda like the wood is brittle from all the glue that has been impregnated into it. It really isn't much fun to work with chisles but files and rasps will be OK. Agree with S&F that checkering won't work as well here as it will in some other woods.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did 2 that were laminated with carbon fiber cloth. One was redwood and the other walnut. They are BR stocks.

Redwood is splintery, but not bad. Walnut is great.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have recently finished a checkering job on a laminted stock. It was certainly different. I found that I had to lightly scuff the areas to be cut with sandpaper so that the cutters would grip otherwise they just slip like hell.

I also found it best to use 16 lines per inch cutters. Anything finer and the head of the diamonds can break off

Posts: 56 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I find using draw type carving tools very helpful instead of the traditional push type chisels. also if using any type of chisel on laminate use as broad a carving tool as possible and take it slow. Checkering is very hard on laminate but can be done if you again use triple cutters instead of doubles and so forth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not planning to do any checkering, just inlet and finishing.

I think I may buy a cheap blem stock just to get the feel of things before setting to work on the fancy one. I'm sure not all laminated stocks will cut the same, but I'm a better machinist than woodworker...

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
they tend to respond better to rasps, files, and sandpaper than chisles

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote