New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burgess QD rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a set of 1", but they are not split. Does anyone have a set that are split and can you post a photo...thinking of doing some major surgery here

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
duane,

If this is the set that I sent up to you, give D'Arcy Echols a call. He can explain how they come apart and fit back together again.

Tom

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane
Loosen the lock screw (allen type) on right side (non lever) side of the ring. unscrew the lever pivot screw with the cam angles on either side of it(left side). Remove the pivot screw and clamping jaw, don't loose the two taper coil springs under the clamping jaw. Then remove the two 6x48 screws holding the ring halves together at the bottom of the ring. Each major part is numbered, don't get them mixed up.

One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom,

Yes it is the set I bought off you & you sent to Duane for me. I'm very excited that Duane is starting on my Brno M21 project now. Those rings are going to make it extra special!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
Duane
Loosen the lock screw (allen type) on right side (non lever) side of the ring. unscrew the lever pivot screw with the cam angles on either side of it(left side). Remove the pivot screw and clamping jaw, don't loose the two taper coil springs under the clamping jaw. Then remove the two 6x48 screws holding the ring halves together at the bottom of the ring. Each major part is numbered, don't get them mixed up.

Good grief..talk about a perfect fit...guess I'd have found the screws...but appreciate the heads up.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you get the time, I'd really like to see some pics of them together and opened up. Not familiar with this design.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Posting the ring photos...

On the gun

Opened up to show camming action

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
Well they look familiar. Cool

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

On the gun

Very nice. Can I have it?

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
Some more photos ...

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I guess...I still don't understand how they come apart...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Dang, those are nice looking rings. They must be so well machined that the lower seam is hard to see.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Where do you find a replacement pair if the "splitting" doesn't go as planned? Eeker

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are already split at the bottom. Look at W. Elmer's pic that shows the inside of the ring. You can detect a faint line through the bottom of the ring on the inside. The two ring halves are so well fitted that the bottom looks solid.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Tommy,

I don't see it...sorry. I believe you but I literally can't see it.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom was an absolutely amazing craftsman.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommyhawk:
They are already split at the bottom. Look at W. Elmer's pic that shows the inside of the ring. You can detect a faint line through the bottom of the ring on the inside. The two ring halves are so well fitted that the bottom looks solid.

Not even Burgess was that good.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chisana:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

On the gun

Very nice. Can I have it?

Ummm no you may not. Will be the first Wiebe Rifle in Australia soon. Well, as far as i know. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:

Sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown down Duane. How about it? Got a pic of them taken apart? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one fine looking set of rings. Does anybody still make these? Anybody have a set they want to sell?

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JayWheeler

When I purchased my set directly from Thomas Burgess they were $450. That was at least 5 years ago. As you know he has since passed. No more available from him. If I had mine back I wouldn't sell them for less than $750, if at all.

There was a fellow making a very good copy of them. Here is a photo of them. A little surface grinding here and there, a little nitre bluing, a little cleaning up, plus changing the screws, and they would be very close to the originals.

By the way, most of the ones that Thomas made were for the BRNO rifles. They had the little tit on the bottom as you can see in the photos on this thread. But he told me that he had made a few without that little tit, and of course with those he made custom bases for the rifle that they were to be installed on.

The real amazing thing that I remember when I was at his shop was that he didn't have, at least that I could see, any CNC equipment in there. I think almost all of his stuff was made with a regular Bridgeport Mill, lathe, and surface grinder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

There was a fellow making a very good copy of them. Here is a photo of them. A little surface grinding here and there, a little nitre bluing, a little cleaning up, plus changing the screws, and they would be very close to the originals.

]

22WRF

Who is making the copies? I am only interested in having a set for my BRNO.

Jeff

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
Darrel Ragar is making them. I contacted him about a set for this Brno M21 & after a few weeks he got back to me saying he could send a set to Duane for me. In the mean time however, Tsquare2 offered to sell me a set of Burgess originals so i bought them instead.

I then asked Darrel about buying some of his mounts for a couple of other rifles Duane is building for me & i never heard anything back. I thought with a bit of spit & polish they'd look good on custom bases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7mmMagnum:
Darrel Ragar is making them. I contacted him about a set for this Brno M21

I sold Darrell a couple of ZG47's back in 2007. I will try to find his contact info. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
He posts here under the name of "katiesguns" or something like that.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I appreciate fine craftsmanship...but $450 for a set of rings.

It would appear to be NASA quality precison where NASA quality precision is not required.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
$450 rings -relative to the price of Euro glass & custom mausers,is all in proportion.
...as are leupold scope&rings on an factory Rem.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Trax,

I just have never bought that logic.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The logic I use is that a top custom rifle deserves much more than Leuopld or Burris rings.
Same reason one puts Pirelli P-zeros on an F40.
ThE Burgess type rings despite being stylish are also well engineered, very field practicle & functional,..not just tits on a prize bull. Big Grin
TomBurgess made them in two heights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try building some of these and you lite weights will change your tune. Have some for sale. $400 per set. They are gunsmith products and need to have some polishing done. I showed them to Duane and the show 2 years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by katiesguns:
Try building some of these and you lite weights will change your tune. Have some for sale. $400 per set. They are gunsmith products and need to have some polishing done. I showed them to Duane and the show 2 years ago.

He did...first class workmanship..probably needs to sell for around $1000.00 a set..then write it off to "fun and giggles)

One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wayne

Those rings look very familiar to me!!! Big Grin

They should. Did you know if you leave them alone in the dark together, they multiply?!

Duane, this might be of some help to you. I received a copy of instructions along with a set of rings I purchased in the past. I suspect these instructions originate from Mr. Burgess himself. I photographed them this evening, hopefully they will be legible. If you would like, I could mail you a photocopy of the instructions in the next few days.

page 1

page 2 (top half)

page 2 (bottom half)

One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
Well how about that! Maybe i should've shut mine away for a while to see if they would do the same.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Guys don't get me wrong...they look gorgeous and are an incredible display of craftsmansip...just not my thing

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:

Actually, he was that good. They do in fact split apart (as stated in the instructions), and the seam is (barely) visible in
the inside bottom of the ring. I am out of time to take more photos tonite, but I will try to get some more photos up of a disassembled ring.

This photo was my inspiration to acquire the rings. The craftsmanship of Echols and Burgess ...

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Elmer:
quote:
Wayne

Those rings look very familiar to me!!! Big Grin

They should. Did you know if you leave them alone in the dark together, they multiply?!

Duane, this might be of some help to you. I received a copy of instructions along with a set of rings I purchased in the past. I suspect these instructions originate from Mr. Burgess himself. I photographed them this evening, hopefully they will be legible. If you would like, I could mail you a photocopy of the instructions in the next few days.

page 1

page 2 (top half)

page 2 (bottom half)

Wow, I didn't realize how excited I could get about a scope ring thread.

I have to say it - can I have a set?

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try building some of these and you lite weights will change your tune. Have some for sale. $400 per set....

I think my B21 may deserve a set.
can you indicate what the centre to centre height is from bore to scope?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Tom, if you have still have internet access, I want you to know you have my sincere apologies for ever having doubted you. Rest easy my friend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of the Ragar rings to fit Talley bases and they are simply awesome. They are to go on my favourite P-64 Mod. 70 in .338WM and, later this year, I hope to buy some for the Brno ZGs and 21/22 rifles I have, seven all told.

Fine using rifles deserve the finest in mounts and sights, optical and irons, IMO.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Darrel, You have a PM.