Tools

Cerakoting a Ruger SA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Had anybody done this?
How did it come out and hold up?
I would think a cylinder line and how would thenforcing come area and front of cylinder may not last?

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Revolvers rarely react well to coatings.

Posts: 708 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do not fall for the hype; no matter what the trade hame, these are paint. Some baked on, others air cured, but for sure, you will have a cylinder line.
No different than a blued one though. Depending no how much you use it.
Not something to worry about though. It will protect better than blueing. If you really want rust protection have it matte nickel/electroless nickel plated.

Posts: 17243 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
If you are dead set on doing a coating on a revolver ask a lot of questions and ensure this isn’t their first rodeo. Pay for experience and quality on this job. Find the best.

Someone less experienced could cause you lots of problems.

Personally I’d look at DLC coating. Way more durable, thinner, and corrosion resistant

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger Redhawk that I had cerakoted by CCR. They did a great job, and I am very happy with it. I personally don't care for stainless guns, but got this one at a great price. So even with the cost of the cerakote, I am in it a lot less than buying a used one. I have a Super Blackhawk Hunter that will be going at the end of summer for the same treatment.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
How is it holding up on cylinder face and so on? Mine is SS to..want to do it for cosmetic reasons..Thanks

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I'd bought a steel frame 2" colt detective that lived most of its life in a sheep wool case... needless to say, the blued finish was pitted beyond reblue.. and since the pink gun craze was going on, I had it cerrakoted in pink... by a reputable guy... the front of the cylinder is burned off after about 50 rounds,,, and the drag marks on the cylinder came back... the cerrakote had to be scraped out so the crane would fit back on the frame... it shoots, it's pink... and its better than a pitted frame... and its still a colt...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2839 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safarikid:
Haven't run a lot through it yet, but so far seems to be holding up.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Ok..cool!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
might consider a DIY powder coat

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39113 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about Parkerizing... don’t seem to hear much about it anymore. I’ve had several rifles and a revolver Parkerized and never had a problem with them.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 964 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send it here and have it blue titanium nitrided. You'll wear out several holsters before the finish thins. Color is very close to hot salts or rust blueing. Not the gaudy blues you see on Kimbers and such.

Brooke Cutting Tools
Greer, SC
800-621-4274

Posts: 3758 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all but just considering a way to make it look weathered look...