Find
Notify
Tools

Stockmaking video
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://youtu.be/xQ-fDAY5oOY

My goal was to film each step of the stock making process. I ended up filling several SD cards and had to cut quite a bit out to make it watchable. It's down to a very watchable 8 minutes.

On this particular stock I machined it oversized on the duplicator leaving more handwork instead of altering my pattern to the desired shape. The integral half octagon full ovate barrel was done by Morris Melani of Alaska Arms LLC.

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, thank you for sharing.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting to see how someone else does it, neat!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice- must have taken many hours to do

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An eight minute lesson in craftsmanship.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!
Love seeing your tools, jigs and technique.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Great video Matt tu2
I can just feel the pucker factor when you're shaping the top line down along Morris's fine looking barrel.
Great piece of wood.
Great stock.
Great rifle.

Wish I would have stopped by when I worked in Cambridge, NY building TI Mausers. My wife's from Cambridge. Might try looking you up when we get back to see her family sometime.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I noticed the bionic blue finger partway through shaping. Did you get bit by the platter's rasp? I hate it when that happens.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Great video! Superb craftsmanship.

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug. The main fixture I use for installing the sling swivel, grip cap, and cross bolts is made by Robert Szweda out of Prescott, AZ. It's incredibly handy!
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
Fantastic!
Love seeing your tools, jigs and technique.

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks James! You aint kidding with the nervous work around Morris' metal work! I wouldn't want to have to have to fix any of those crisp lines.

And please stop by if you're ever in the area. It would be my pleasure.
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Great video Matt tu2
I can just feel the pucker factor when you're shaping the top line down along Morris's fine looking barrel.
Great piece of wood.
Great stock.
Great rifle.

Wish I would have stopped by when I worked in Cambridge, NY building TI Mausers. My wife's from Cambridge. Might try looking you up when we get back to see her family sometime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure did! It didn't hurt to bad but it's less than ideal to be bleeding all over the polished metal work. I suppose it would blend right in with the alkanet root in the stock finish Smiler
quote:
I noticed the bionic blue finger partway through shaping. Did you get bit by the platter's rasp? I hate it when that happens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't quite tell. Was the rifle built on one of your actions or is that a Winchester action?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice stick, turned out lovely.
thank you for sharing it with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6014 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Can't quite tell. Was the rifle built on one of your actions or is that a Winchester action?

A quick look at the serial # in the video should answer that.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a pre-64 Winchester. Sunny Hill bottom metal. Mcfarland 5 panel bolt. I reshaped the tang, built up the bolt release, and made the bases for the Alaska Arms QD rings.
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MNR - nice job. What are using for a sealer? Finish? Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ron. I used Pilkingtons.
quote:
Originally posted by rgg_7:
MNR - nice job. What are using for a sealer? Finish? Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks for sharing. It was very watchable to say the least. I’d love to see the long version!
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you checker without a cradle. I'd like to see the long version too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great video and great craftsmanship,thanks for sharing. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great effort..thanks for doing it and sharing.

Maybe you can get a little technical...how do you go about getting the pitch, cast, etc.

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top job Matt, the big horse rasp looks like it cuts really well.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's funny, I started out checkering on a towel then purchased a cradle when I could afford it. I never could make the switch though. Hard to break old habits I guess.
quote:
Interesting that you checker without a cradle. I'd like to see the long version too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea. I'm a little camera shy myself so I tried to keep my ugly mug out of the frame as much as possible Smiler It would be neat to discuss each of the processes before showing them though. I'll work on something like that for the next video.
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Great effort..thanks for doing it and sharing.

Maybe you can get a little technical...how do you go about getting the pitch, cast, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I'll start work on the long version.
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Wow! Thanks for sharing. It was very watchable to say the least. I’d love to see the long version!
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! The farrier's rasp is the ticket for removing lots of material fast. The fine side leaves a half decent finish too.
quote:
Originally posted by metal:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
Thanks! The farrier's rasp is the ticket for removing lots of material fast. The fine side leaves a half decent finish too.
quote:
Originally posted by metal:

Yep, I've used farrier's rasps for many, many years. Mostly on horses, but it works on wood as well (and the wood doesn't kick and bite).

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Beautiful stock and a great exhibition of Craftsmanship and skill, something that isn't around as much anymore as in the 'old days'.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need a few more tools and a lot of practice Smiler Thanks for posting!

Posts: 1095 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work, thanks for sharing. Your hands look young. Would you mind sharing how old you are and how you got into the craft? I did a little stock making when I was young but soon learned I was no Jerry Fisher or Duane Wiebe. I commend you for putting in the time and work do do that level of work. Not an easy way to make ends meet. Anyway, if you feel like sharing I think some would be interested, if not I totally understand. Either way, keep up the great work, we need more craftsman like yourself.

Thanks,
John Holliger

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't mind at all. I am quite young as far as gunmakers go (31). I started in the craft nine years ago attending gunsmithing school in Prescott, AZ. I spent a little while afterwards taking on contracted stockmaking projects from larger custom rifle companies then branched off on my own six years ago.
As far as making ends meet, stockmaking has to be one of the least profitable services I offer. It's a lot more lucrative to spend the day doing trigger jobs or chambering. However, it's what I get the most satisfaction out of doing so I continue to promote that work.
Thank you for the kind words.
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
Very nice work, thanks for sharing. Your hands look young. Would you mind sharing how old you are and how you got into the craft? I did a little stock making when I was young but soon learned I was no Jerry Fisher or Duane Wiebe. I commend you for putting in the time and work do do that level of work. Not an easy way to make ends meet. Anyway, if you feel like sharing I think some would be interested, if not I totally understand. Either way, keep up the great work, we need more craftsman like yourself.

Thanks,
John Holliger

one of us
posted Hide Post
That was VERY VERY enjoyable, and informative. Thank you for taking the time to put that out there from someone with the interest but nowhere near that level of skill!

One question, was that water or alcohol used to raise the grain before the heat gun?

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Matt! I used water to raise the grain before the heat gun.
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
That was VERY VERY enjoyable, and informative. Thank you for taking the time to put that out there from someone with the interest but nowhere near that level of skill!

One question, was that water or alcohol used to raise the grain before the heat gun?

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Here's an odd question.
Why did you build your duplicator to operate from the left side? It looked like in the video that you were using your right hand to run the stylus. I've never seen a duplicator setup that way. I run from the right, even though I'm left handed. Well, I'm a little screwed up, I write, eat and shoot pool with my left and do everything else right handed except filing, then it's both. I couldn't imagine running a stock with my left hand as I learned on a right handed machine and using my left hand would mean having to look over the parallel arms while machining.

31, I wouldn't have guessed. You would have been 10 when I lived in upstate NY. You have a great eye for a classy rifle for someone so young.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply. So often young smiths try to set their work apart by incorporating some crazy off the wall ideas. The best way to set yourself apart is with exceptional quality, and it looks like that is what you are doing. Keep it up and best of luck.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a valid question. I didn't have much choice though as I wasn't the one who built it. It's definitely a home-made jobber as you can tell in the video, but I bought it from a widow of a hobbiest that had purchased it 30 years ago from a gunmaker out in Pueblo, CO. I'm unsure who that was. It wouldn't take much to change it around, but I'm kind of used to the way it is now.
Thanks again for the compliments. I suppose visiting when you lived in NY would have been out of the question then Smiler

quote:
Here's an odd question.
Why did you build your duplicator to operate from the left side? It looked like in the video that you were using your right hand to run the stylus. I've never seen a duplicator setup that way. I run from the right, even though I'm left handed. Well, I'm a little screwed up, I write, eat and shoot pool with my left and do everything else right handed except filing, then it's both. I couldn't imagine running a stock with my left hand as I learned on a right handed machine and using my left hand would mean having to look over the parallel arms while machining.

31, I wouldn't have guessed. You would have been 10 when I lived in upstate NY. You have a great eye for a classy rifle for someone so young.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's funny, I started out checkering on a towel then purchased a cradle when I could afford it. I never could make the switch though. Hard to break old habits I guess

And no glasses, bifocals, trifocals or magniviewers.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you are talking a bit about yourself I wonder if you would mention how it was that you got involved in a manufacturing company that makes rifle actions, and what part you had in designing that action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The benefit of good genes and youth I guess Smiler Eyesight hasn't started fading yet
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
quote:
It's funny, I started out checkering on a towel then purchased a cradle when I could afford it. I never could make the switch though. Hard to break old habits I guess

And no glasses, bifocals, trifocals or magniviewers.