THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Article on building Ebony forend caps - Found it!!!!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Article on building Ebony forend caps - Found it!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Before I exited stage left in 2015, Duane Wiebe started an article on building and attaching ebony and rosewood forend, and grip caps. I anyone has that article saved, could you please post the link. Merci Beaucoups.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...don't remember that ,,,I Never use rosewood and can't remember the last time I actually used a wood grip cap

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
The article featured a Stanley number 49 tool IIRC. I do have a plan. That should scare everyone within five miles of my home. The article concentrated on ebony as a fore end cap, again IF IRC.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the thread was the 7x57 rifle build for a raffle.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After a second reading, I realize this is the exact article I was thinking of - THANK YOU!!

AS always, the home team comes through in a great big way. Now I will devote my life to finding the Stanley #59 wood clamp.

You guys are too cool for words.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Baxter B,
I have had that awesome article by Les Brooks in my favorites for a long time. It is a thorough going classic! Thank you for posting that link.
darte

one of us
posted Hide Post
The search is over!
Merci Beaucoups!
Monsieur le Darte

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,
Here is a few tips on using wood with lots of natural oil like rosewood. A grip cap needs to have a couple of small screws in the stock as anchors so the heads are cut into the cap undercutting enough using dental burrs. This will hold the cap in place and not show from the base of the grip cap. I use a dowel jig to make the forend tip stay in place. Two 1/4 in. dowel rods will keep the tip on for many yrs. I like using a Elmers glue on both tip and cap as it will expand with the wood and epoxy seems to turn loose in a few yrs.

Les

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Les,
I just bought a Stanley Dowel Holder #59, and some wood glue. I have hardwood dowels in both 1/4" and 3/8". I will clamp the sides with pliers to let the glue spread, and the air to escape. I might put some Everclear into the Ebony's holes to wick some of the oils away. I learned to use wood glue from my shop teachers in Jr. High school, and also High school. Thanks for the heads up on wood glue instead of epoxy. I also use the wood glue when putting metal pieces into stocks that machine screws are placed into to hold buttpads in place. Thanks for your ongoing help and wisdom.