Find
Notify
Tools

Whitworth Ejection Issue
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I have a nice Whitworth 375 H&H. The issue I have is with the ejection of loaded rounds. When I load a round to the 3.6" standard it loads in the magazine and cycles perfectly. The rifle will send the empty case flying.

The issue I have is with trying to eject loaded rounds. At 3.6" the bullet tip will hit the front port. Not by much but enough to stop ejection. As I see it I have three option. Open the port a little (nice blueing makes this a last resort). Seat the bullets deeper and use up some case capacity. Or taking a little off the ejector.

Anyone else with a Whitworth have this issue? How did you cure it? Any suggestions?

Anyone have an extra ejector laying around?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's a timing issue...
take the ejector out of the box, turn on a belt sander, mark about .015 off the ejector, sand off and radius sides..

reassemble and go.. if it needs a hair more, repeat.

do NOT take too much off, or your timing could result in the cases hitting the rear bridge, and falling back into the mag well/action

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39590 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is the same way, they'll barely clear, usually have to tip the rifle to the right to get them out. It's just an inconvenience to me, not a big deal function wise.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
take the ejector out of the box, turn on a belt sander, mark about .015 off the ejector, sand off and radius sides..

LOL Yep firgured I needed to remove just a touch. For some reason I was thinking of getting an old ejector to play with. Like the ejector was needed to keep it original. I'll work on what I have and if I "F" it up I'll worry aobut getting a new ejector then.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ejector trimming easiest and will solve problem of ejecting live round;however, a bit of sculpting to the right side of the front receiver ring, rearward facing edge, will aide and do not blue if you do not want to do so. It will be a small u shape area, polish bright, and some feel it adds to the "business like" appearance of the rifle. Just a suggestion.