Find
Notify
Tools

Who has seen an accuracy improvement...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
after installing an H-S, Mcmillan or any other quality stock to their rifle? And if so, how much of an improvement did it make? Thanks, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Acurracy over a good bed job in the old stock? None.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ditto. I've never seen a brand name beat a properly reworked old stock. What you gain in some cases may be durability and ruggedness, looks or fit to the shooter but a properly bedded stock is a properly bedded stock the world over.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I can't say as I have attributed a lot of accuracy improvement to a mcmillan sporter stock, but I've seen a good bed/float job in a factory stock work wonders...

I buy mcmillan sporter stock for hunting durability and weather resistance, not really because they enhance accuracy much.

However, by having a hunting stock that is impervious to the elements can have an implications for point of impact shift of course..

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I'm talking about a untouched factory stock, Thanks, Jay

<9.3x62>
posted
An an untouched drop-in mcmillan priot to bedding, etc? If so, I'd say the same accuracy, with the possible proviso for weather-realted influences on the point of impact...

I've had quite a few extremely accurate unbedded wood stocked rifles...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never seen any improvements. But I always rebed any wood stocked factory rifle with acraglas before shooting it anyhow.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
unless you go from wood to synth, assuming both are well bedded, the results will be the same.

if you go to synth the WEATHER changes may improve your consistency.. may.. or may not

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Gorski:
after installing an H-S, Mcmillan or any other quality stock to their rifle? And if so, how much of an improvement did it make? Thanks, Jay

Improvement from what state?? You have described the "after" condition, what was the "before"??

If the gun was previously stocked with one of the floppy synthetics, then there is a real chance of improvement after installation of a stock with a stiff forearm - be it a wooden or synthetic stock.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Enough improvement that whenever I can afford it I get McMillan stocks on my hunting rifles and target rifles. I'm not crazy about their tactical stocks. I think I have about twenty of their stocks now.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a synthetic stock over wooden for hunting because they maintain their point of impact.A synthetic stocked rifle will shoot at the same point of aim always. You don't want your rifle shooting at one place one week,and 3'' to the left and 2'' high the next week.I would prefer hunting with a wooden stock if it were not for this.I find accuracy to be the same.One thing to avoid is a plastic trigger guard/magazine assembly,such as those found on some steyr rifles.Those crack very often and accuracy suffers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I had a Rem 700 ADL on a wooden stock that was a 1" shooter (.270 WIN). I put a Bell and Carlson Carbelite on it and it magically became a sub .5 MOA shooter. On top of that, it reduced felt recoil. I was pleased, to say the least.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
I had a Rem 700 ADL on a wooden stock that was a 1" shooter (.270 WIN). I put a Bell and Carlson Carbelite on it and it magically became a sub .5 MOA shooter. On top of that, it reduced felt recoil. I was pleased, to say the least.

Finally, thats's what I wanted to hear, man. Jay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay, I had a similar experience to bowhuntrrl's. I took a Howa 1500 30-06 from its original plastic stock to a B&C Medalist stock (the one with the aluminum bedding block). Accuracy went from 1 1/4 MOA to just under 1 MOA. Not as dramatic, but measurable nonetheless.

<9.3x62>
posted
I've had improvements of this type, and I've also had worsenings of accuracy when going to the new synthetic stock...

I've also swapped wood stocks before and had noticeable improvements in accuracy...

one of us
posted Hide Post
700 BDL wood stock 7mag, unbedded w/ 140gr. partitions and 150 gr. balistic tips & 160 gr. Sierras averaged 5 shots between 1" (Sierra) & 1 3/4" (partitions).

Add a Brown Precision glass stock and acraglass (rounded) 1.1" average for 3 - 5 shot groups w/ 140 partitions, .790 average for 3 groups w/ 160 Sierras and .635 w/ 150 ballistic tips (including one group of .491)

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote