THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1917 Rifle (What Would You Do Different?)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a deal today that I couldn't pass up. I picked up a Winchester P1917 (with duck pond) rifle chambered in .300 H&H today. The rifle looked like it had seen a little neglect so I took it into a a local gun shop to have it checked out. First off we checked the head-space and it is a little long but the bolt will not close on the no-go gage. Then he checked the bore and said everything was exceptional in the barrel and throat. The feed rails have been worked, and the magazine has been cut down to 5 rounds, but the follower needs a little work. The bolt has a speed lock kit installed so that it now cocks on open. The receiver has had the ears milled off and D&T for a scope base.

Things that are still original on this rifle are the bolt handle and safety. The trigger I think is the original military two stage trigger and that will need to be replaced. Stock is still the original military wood but kind of butchered around the magazine.

I know I should have taken pictures of this rifle first, but I didn't get any. I left it at the gun shop to get a base installed, as the rear of the base needed to be milled down. I figured I'd see how good this rifle can shoot before I do any other work too it.

My question is what would you do to your P17 if you had to do it all over again? Especially to the action as that is where I'm going to focus most of my attention for now if the rifle shoots with potential. I would love to see pictures of your actions to get a better idea of what I want to do.

I know the rifle will need a new stock eventually. I'm kind of leaning toward a synthetic stock at the moment as this rifle is very heavy and it would lighten it up a little. I'm considering a laminate as well, not looking for anything too fancy as I don't want to sink a whole lot of money into this rifle. Suggestions on stocks would be appreciated, and I realize there probably aren't a whole lot out there for the P17.

I'm considering re-barreling this rifle to .375 H&H as well. I already have a .375 Ruger, and since the barrel is in good shape I'll probably leave it. Just that the .375 has always interested me more than the .300, so I keep thinking about it.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
tip burns www.burnsgunrepair.com built my .416 taylor on an eddystone enfield... i kept the original safety... and the military style bottom metal... other than whatever magic he did to the feed rails and follower, i used an aftemarket trigger... tip's got my rifle now, installing the cock-on-opening.... the bolt felt a little "heavy" when i was chambering a round...i used a boyd's pepper laminate for the stock, too bad they decided not to continue offering them to the public...i had winchester crossbolts added, and a pachmayer decelerator recoil pad....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Straighten the bolt handle and get that swimming pool filled in. Another thing I like is a spring screw (mauser type) bolt stop instead of the standard flat spring 1917 type. What kind of bottom metal are you going to use?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrosVentreGeorge:
Straighten the bolt handle and get that swimming pool filled in. Another thing I like is a spring screw (mauser type) bolt stop instead of the standard flat spring 1917 type. What kind of bottom metal are you going to use?

It still has the original bottom metal but someone has taken the time to straighten it out. It no longer has the belly shape to it. I figured I'd just use the one I have. I like the dogleg bolt handle and figured I'd keep the safety as well. Other than looks is there any reason to fill the duck pond? I plan on a new trigger as soon as possible, like I said this rifle has to have the shooting potential before I do too much with it.

Richards microfit has a laminate stock available for it with the belly. I've been kind of wondering how hard it would be to shave that off and re-inlet for the bottom metal. Afraid I might be biting off more than I can chew if I do that.

Bell & Carlson only make there stocks with the belly as well. Frowner

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
It still has the original bottom metal but someone has taken the time to straighten it out. It no longer has the belly shape to it. I figured I'd just use the one I have. I like the dogleg bolt handle and figured I'd keep the safety as well. Other than looks is there any reason to fill the duck pond? I plan on a new trigger as soon as possible, like I said this rifle has to have the shooting potential before I do too much with it.

Richards microfit has a laminate stock available for it with the belly. I've been kind of wondering how hard it would be to shave that off and re-inlet for the bottom metal. Afraid I might be biting off more than I can chew if I do that.

Bell & Carlson only make there stocks with the belly as well. Frowner
I've read that the dogleg is a detriment with high recoil rounds. Tends to bite your knuckles. The pond is purely aesthetic I believe. I know timney makes an affordable trigger for these. They have two options: 5 round and 6 round. I think you want the 5 round. You'll have to ask somebody else for the rest of your question, they're beyond me too.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've read that the dogleg is a detriment with high recoil rounds. Tends to bite your knuckles.

I don't know, as I've never shot a .300 H&H but I can't imagine it being a heavy recoiler. I'll take it under advisement. If it bites me I'll change the bolt handle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:
I've read that the dogleg is a detriment with high recoil rounds. Tends to bite your knuckles.

I don't know, as I've never shot a .300 H&H but I can't imagine it being a heavy recoiler. I'll take it under advisement. If it bites me I'll change the bolt handle.

I have one in .458 and had one in .510 Wells and that dogleg will only bite when you are sloppy with your grip on the rifle. I actually like it and have left them the same on two others I have played with.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
dogleg only gets you if you let go...
i've been hit by a straight cz handle...

in a 585 nyati, 11# ... thought it broke my hand... it didn't.. so i shot it some more and held on better

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39616 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote