New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas cutting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Didn't want to hijack Duane's post but an curious as to the reasons for gas cutting.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usually, excessively high pressure handloads. Blown primers, etc., etc., etc. Same folks who hop up car engines beyond design specs, then blow them up and wonder, WTF?

Posts: 3673 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's always idiots who exceed the limits of their brass and primers. Regardless of what the book says. Caused by gas finding it's way past the primer.

Posts: 17110 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There were a bunch of Winchester primers with bad cup which would pierce and cut divots in the bolt face. The leak occurs at the edge of the primer pocket. This happened with normal loads. In combination with the setback though, I doubt the issue was anything but hot loads in this case. I just mentioned the primer issue because I've seen it. I have a divot in the face of my own 1935 Mauser and it wasn't loaded too hot! I have relegated those primers to black powder loads. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3524 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Bill said.....

I've two bolts, on two rifles, whose faces were flame cut by ONE shot each......on a PD trip years ago, via a tiny hole in the corner of the fired primer.
The only common factor.....one particular lot of Fed 205M primers.(Note: the problem is NOT limited to any particular maker.)

The problem has been long known in benchrest circles. Seems that, over the years, the primer cup metallurgy among different manufactureres has "varied".

I ended up unloading and reloading about 400 rounds, across 3 rifles. Still have those "bad" primers somewhere.

BTW.....Bill, I wouldn't trust those primers....even in a BP application.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These primers....

caused the gas damage on the face of this bolt...

Not high pressure loads. Happened while working up loads.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The gas cutting I', familiar with soft cast bullets or hard cast bullets that are sized to small. The gases just cut around the bullet, vaporizing the the lead creating a channel for the gas.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Primers that have been contaminated by contact with ammonia fumes will do this as well with standard pressures. Happened to me years ago with some Federals I had sitting on my bench in the man cave. I used the room for ammonia fuming of some maple and 6 months later I noticed my M14 bolt face was gas cut all to hell by primer leakage after just one string of fire. Sent a letter to Federal (this was way before the internet!) and they requested I send the primers in question to them for testing, etc. They called me on the phone a few weeks later and were specifically interested if they had been exposed to ammonia. Primer cups are brass and ammonia attacks brass making it brittle. They called it "stress/corrosion cracking". They have seen this caused by many forms of contact. Full blown exposure as in my case with 28% stronger ammonia, and even reloading rooms in close proximity to diaper pails and cat boxes. Most bore cleaners can attack brass and copper, etc.
Since then (1990 or there about) I keep all primers and percussion caps in GI ammo cans with good gaskets. Never had a problem since, even with some stupid hot loads that loosened the pockets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some time it is just primer quality control. I have picture some where of one that made it through. The blank the primer was punched out of was not round. It left a open line on the side of the primer that let gas leak back and cut the bolt face. The loads were not hot, none before or after.

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
As I said, it is not always high pressure; it is the combination of primer or brass that are not sealing. And it is not always too small primers; they do obturate and seal. Or are supposed to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found the pictures. Forgive the quality! Best a pocket camera can do. Back when the Blackberry was king! Dark line from the hole to the edge of the primer cup was an open seam.

You can see how the super heated gas worm holed the case. Cut a small divot in the bolt face.

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I received an AR 10 in the shop with a bolt that wouldn't go to battery. I remove the bolt and disassembled it to find it clogged with 25 + pieces of brass that used to be primer cup indents.

Posts: 3673 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
As I said, it is not always high pressure; it is the combination of primer or brass that are not sealing. And it is not always too small primers; they do obturate and seal. Or are supposed to.

What do you think? Haven't reloaded in years, but seems to be there was a slight but definite resistance to seat the primer.

Average reloader would notice a lack of resistance if the pocket was expanded or undersize primer??

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was using a Lee hand priming tool. Put the primers in, shake to align, install cover and prime. There is a little bit of difference in the "feel" on primer pockets but not a "whoa" what was that. I now use the arm on my single stage press and look at each primer. Still using the same 1K lot and have not found another!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes a normal primer to pocket fit will have a resistance to it. Halfway knowledgeable reloaders should notice a loose pocket. And yes, much more noticeable with a hand tool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An example of what we're up against: Years ago, I worked for a big firm in Hayward CA..Some stumbler bought a coup[le 1100's...12 and 20 ga...AND a bunch or reloading equipment,

Sure enough, he put a 20 ga round in the 12 ga chamber didn't go "bang, so stuffed a 12 ga load behind it with predictable results

Sued (why not) and jury actually awarded him 10K!!

If you looked this guy in the eye, you could see the back of his head..NO BRAINS!

When the jury was polled..."We felt sorry for him"

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote