New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too pitted to surface grind?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is this receiver too pitted to surface grind and polish up? I really like the crest, and the action is very smooth but I'm wondering whether I should go with a different action for my upcoming 9.3x62, iron sighted build.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I think that in order to make that action suitable for viewing it will take some hellacious work. Personally I would keep searching. There are much better specimens to be had.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen worse, but unless you have a really good welder (person, not machine), I wouldn't grind it. The pitts look too deep.

Posts: 50 | Location: Corrales, NM | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll keep this one as is then.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The action is easily repairable....I've seen far worse tig welded, graw filed and polished. All you pitting is below the wood line....sure there is some one in your area who can do this for you at a reasonable cost. Don't surface grind if you want to retain the crest or lettering....nice action!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
good news bad news...
yep, have someone tig it up, but there should be a pretty good charge for that.. then grind it, and it MUST be rehardened, at least for me, as it is a 1902 action... while it may be hard, it owuld be suspect for me, and i would NOT put a x62 in it until it was heat treated

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that you need to go that far. You can just take a file to the pitted areas and then blend that it. I would not go the welding route but see if anyone can METAL SPRAY it otherwise.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Kuhnhausen's mauser book, he states that the receiver's surface contains too much carbon to weld, and recommends peening a bit of metal in small pits instead.

Jack Belk stated the same, IIRC.

-but I see repeatedly posts about tigging up receivers. I believe you all; what is the contrary opinion based in?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote