New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt stuck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
alright, have your fun, and then help me out.

I took the extractor off of a mauser bolt, but not the extractor retainer ring, and then proceeded for some stupid (yes I admit it) reason to put the bolt into the receiver.

And of course, when it got a little ways in that retainer ring expanded inside the rear bridge. Not enough to slide off the bolt, but enough to cause the bolt to become stuck.

Needle nose pliers don't work to get in there and squeeze the thing back together.

Short of cutting off the top of the rear bridge is there any other trick to get the bolt out in this type of situation.

Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear 22 WRF:

Have you removed the bolt stop assembly on the LH side?

You should be able to gain access with needle nose pliers, and be able to pinch the bolt collar closed, and then push the bolt back.

Give me a PM, if you want some more information.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have great success using 2 miniature screw drivers. I insert them from the rear of the bolt guide slot and put one screw driver tip on the top of the extractor collar ear and one below the bottome ear. Then I pinch the screwdrivers (like you would use chop sticks) and draw the bolt and screwdrivers out the back. It works every time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are using the wrong tool. Take a small punch (a nail will work) and put it under the projections on the extractor ring and push up. Pull to the rear at the same time and your bolt should slide out. Bill

Posts: 98 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 08 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fishoot:
I have great success using 2 miniature screw drivers. I insert them from the rear of the bolt guide slot and put one screw driver tip on the top of the extractor collar ear and one below the bottome ear. Then I pinch the screwdrivers (like you would use chop sticks) and draw the bolt and screwdrivers out the back. It works every time.

Makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one that has done this.

Now to find some screwdrivers that will fit.

Taking off the bolt stop doesn't gain enough access to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A real pickle. If the needle nose don't work you may need an extra set of hands and squeeze with some dental picks. This is solveable, but frustrating.

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
use some thin shim stock as a "guide" to slip between the bolt and the bridges... and pull the bolt out... or use a set of feeler gages... they go down to .001

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that extractor collar has a very strong spring to it. very hard to squeese together in such a tight spot. Might have to go with making this receiver a square bridge by cutting it off and then welding on a new one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm - since its confession time . . . I've done this too.

I made up a little tool to slide down the raceway to squeeze it shut again, it looked a little like one of those things golfers use to fix divots. The slot needs to mimic the slot in the extractor.

Good luck

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Work the collar lugs back to the right side slot.
Since there is no recess in the top of the bridge, the bridge will stop the top lug.
Just run/wedge something under the lower lug until the gap is closed and pull the bolt out.
Even a kid can do it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
that extractor collar has a very strong spring to it. very hard to squeese together in such a tight spot. Might have to go with making this receiver a square bridge by cutting it off and then welding on a new one.

A little drastic. The collar can be jammed in a couple of ways. First, the edges of the collar could be caught on the raceway shoulder where the rear receiver is cut for the magazine opening. Second, the little lugs on the collar could have rotated into the safety lug cut-out in the bottom rear of the receiver. I have had this happen a couple of times and easily fixed it with a small jeweler's screwdriver inserted in from the front to rotate and lift up the lug while withdrawing the bolt. Put the plasma torch and cut-off wheel away.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Tweezers will do the trick.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Its only stupid and to others funny the second time around...always remember the extractor and collar ALWAYS comes out, then the bolt goes in...dont ask!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Tweezers will do the trick.

You must have some strong tweezers?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my tools for this operation. Make a collar saver out of an old broken extractor and place this on the collar before inserting the bolt. I don't like to remove collars unless it is necessary. The spring wire is 1/16 dia. X 3 inches long. This will slip in from the rear of the right slot of the reciever and slip over the collar lugs. You will have to rotate the collar to be in the correct position as if an extractor were on the bolt.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Here is my tools for this operation. Make a collar saver out of an old broken extractor and place this on the collar before inserting the bolt.

A twist tie off a loaf of bread or a piece of thin mig wire works equally well.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
perhaps no one mentioned that the "ears" aren't the only thing that sticks - the ring expands and catches on the way back..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
perhaps no one mentioned that the "ears" aren't the only thing that sticks - the ring expands and catches on the way back..

Yes, but it is "fixed" the same way.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Twist ties and Tweezers? I must be missing something because the collars I have worked with have needed to have the "f---" squeezed out of them to get them to compress down to bold dia.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Yale would say,

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions.
I have cured the problem.

No suggestion was less valuable than any other suggestion, and I appreciate every single one of them.

The method that I used was a modification of Mr. Brooks suggestion. I procured some stiff wire and shaped it like Mr. Brooks did in his photo. After twirling the collar around to the right side so that I could see both "ears" I inserted the wire on either side of them from the front and then pulled on each quite hard so that it was firmly around the collar.

Of course, since the collar is a pretty stiff spring, just pushing the two sides of the wires together didn't do anything. The wire just bent. I think a tweezers would work if one had one that was small enough to fit in there, and if it were strong enough to compress the collar without bending.

What to do, what to do.

Then it hit me. I got a pliers and started to twist the two wires together like I was getting them ready to put into an electrical insulator.
I basically twisted the wire until I couldn't twist it no more. And that was enough to squeeze the collar sufficiently such that when I pulled the bolt rearward it came out.

Never again will I put a bolt with a collar but no extractor into a mauser receiver.

Again, thank you all.

And a very special thank you to ZLR who offered to take a look at it gratis if I sent it out to his place. That is going above and beyond, and I am humbled by his generosity and kindness.