New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentinian 1909?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is this the one everyone talks about? The numbers on the barrel, bolt, and receiver are matching. No trigger, haven't disassembled the bolt yet. It is marked as .30-'06.

Thanks,

Tim

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Given its condition, should we assume you are trying to sell this?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink: How would you rate it's condition? I don't know if I want to sell it, as I don't know what it's worth.

There is a part of me that wants to build a rifle on it.

Looking for a general opinion of what it's worth and what you all think of the condition.

Many thanks,

Tim

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Ohier need a good photo of the bolt face. The condition is very important in reguard to overall value.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So the military 7.65 barrel has been rechambered to 30-06 (technically 7.65 x 30-06)?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My camera is not the best. Is this ok or should I try harder???
http://i655.photobucket.com/al...0135_zps3c9e74ad.jpg

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Those that were converted to 30-06 had the fronts of the magazines lengthened. Make sure they didn't take too much out of the floorplate near the hinge pin, leaves a small unsightly gap.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Disable or cover the flash to eliminate the glare.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to find a mark X with a crest like that, tho Wink

Surprised there's no notch cut in the receiver ring for the '06 conversion- or do I have the wrong Mauser in mind?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
So the military 7.65 barrel has been rechambered to 30-06 (technically 7.65 x 30-06)?

The barrel number matches the receiver and it's marked as an '06. Good point about the cost required to bring it up to speed. The actual rifling in the barrel does not look too bad.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Bolt face is good. tu2 I would bet that those were rechambered without taking the barrel off the action. Shoot it. You may be suprised at the accuracy. What others have said. It is MUCH less expensive to just buy a Remy700 etc. Especially when you also consider the face that it is ALWAYS best with the 1909s to have them rehardened. Then the work begins. $$$$

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I will offer it for sale. Is $300 fair?

Thanks to all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have one of these that was re-chambered to 30-06. It is still in full military dress, numbers matching. I haven't shot it yet, but the bore is in very good shape. I've heard that they can give good accuracy with the correct diameter bullets. I think mine will some day become a 9.3x62 or another larger bore. Something fun and out of the ordinary.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
quote:

I have one of these that was re-chambered to 30-06. It is still in full military dress, numbers matching. I haven't shot it yet, but the bore is in very good shape. I've heard that they can give good accuracy with the correct diameter bullets (.312"?). I think mine will some day become a 9.3x62 or another larger bore. Something fun and out of the ordinary.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the Griffin & Howe website in the used rifle section there is a pair for sale, 100% original, 99% condition (even have muzzle caps !) with consecutive serial numbers ! $4000 for the pair, hopefully they will never be altered.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
gzig5: I have one of these that was re-chambered to 30-06...I've heard that they can give good accuracy with the correct diameter bullets.
They shoot much better when loaded with .311 bullets (303 British).

Here's a nice original (not mine): 1909Arg

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had mine rebarreled for 6MM Rem. in 1967. It's a perfect fit.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ohier:
I think I will offer it for sale. Is $300 fair?

Thanks to all.

Yes fair price. You should get close to that at a gunshow or auction. I've picked them up for less and also paid more. If you are close to the MI border, I'll offer you $250 cash.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT ASSUME it is .30-06. I know the barrel is marked as such, but that is NOT necessarily true.

I have one in the shop right now that was going to be sporterized for a customer. He asked me to shoot a few rounds through it to see how it grouped to decide whether to barrel or not.

.30-06 was not even CLOSE to chambering. 7.65x53 chambered just like it should.

Another I sold a customer and he brought it back after trying to fire it. It WAS opened up to .30-06, but was poorly chambered. He had to almost beat the bolt out as the chamber allowed the case to swell behind the neck.

Those may be the only two in existence I have the best of luck. Just a word of warning.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would bet that those were rechambered without taking the barrel off the action

As I said. Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Watch GunBroker to figure your price.

Here's a beauty. I let one like this go for way too little money. Still kick myself.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=331327849

A mint 1909 will go over $600. Depending on the condition (looks like yours was blued, the originals were high polished in the white), $300 would be reasonable. At least half the value in the action is the bottom metal with the hinged magazine plate.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70s, Sarco had them brand new in the packing cases, with test targets, for $100 (I was there but forgot the exact price). Of course, 100 then was like $500 now.
I have had them in 30-06 and that sometimes causes the lug seats to set back; the 09s are not hardened that much. But I use them in customs; one in 404 Jeff.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
dpcd: I have had them in 30-06 and that sometimes causes the lug seats to set back; the 09s are not hardened that much

A common complaint, also 1908 DWM Brazilians. Be sure to re-harden.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a dozen a couple years ago and shared them with Wiebe and Forrest B. Don't think they were very expensive.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great info. I got my price out of it, and am happy to pay yet another gunsmith bill....

Regards,

Tim