New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackburn .404J bottom metal info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I spoke to Ted Blackburn today and he is making a run of .404 Jeffery spetific bottom metal.Holds 4 down. His #14.

Cost retail is $365 and $320 with FFL.

Will be ready to ship in about three weeks.

In case anyone is looking for .404 bottom metal.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
allen the blackburn bottom metal that i have on my 458.wm is pretty racy looking it was built about 12 years ago are they still built the same? some hollands have this style...paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's in his "Blackburn" style.
He said a large part of this run is going to the English gun houses. I think he said Westley Richards & H&H. don't rember who else.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AllenBosely,

The 404 Botom metal, for what action is it being made? I assume that it is for a Mauser 98. I have an FN Mauser action that was for a 30-06 length cartridge. I have been thinking of building a 404 Jeffery on the action. I know that the action is not long enough and I may not be able to open it up enough. Would you know if the action can be opened up enough. Also, do you have contact information for Ted Blackburn?

Thanks,
HOOT

Posts: 792 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoot,
My understanding is yes, a 30-06 Mauser 98 can be opened up for the .404 Jeffery.

There has been some that say no it shouldn't be done. It should be a magnum action only.Others say no problem, and have done it.

My understanding, (now I am as about as far from expert as one one can get!) is it needs to be opened up mostly from the rear of the action.

And it is REALLY a much better deal (at least on a M98)to have a properly dimensioned bottom metal.

That what I like about Blackburns' bottom metal is it is intended to be opened up mostly from the rear and is made for the .404 Jeffery cartrage. I think the front is opened only something like 40 thousands.

There is a lot of information in old posts.

Ted Blackburn 435-623-2074 www.blackburnmachine.com

I'm using a VZ 24 mauser 98 action.
Dennis Olson says he can make it work.

Allen

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Murray:
AllenBosely,

The 404 Botom metal, for what action is it being made? I assume that it is for a Mauser 98. I have an FN Mauser action that was for a 30-06 length cartridge. I have been thinking of building a 404 Jeffery on the action. I know that the action is not long enough and I may not be able to open it up enough. Would you know if the action can be opened up enough. Also, do you have contact information for Ted Blackburn?

Thanks,
HOOT

Is the FN Mauser the “H†ring type? If so you might like to read some of the comments on this thread before making a decision - https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=237101824#237101824

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote