New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebony fore-end installed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
**This is a duplicate from my post on the Gunsmithing Forum. I thought this group might provide a quicker response.**

I would like to have someone install an ebony fore-end on my new rifle. I am in Michigan....No I will not try to do it myself !

Any suggestions ???

-George

Posts: 326 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you only going to have to send the stock you could mail it to my gunsmith. He is doing several ebony tips right now and will be doing three for me next week. I can't quote you a price but you could call him 707 7645744. I will tell you the price will be dictated by whether he has to refinish the whole stock or not.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not looking to have the whole stock refinished, just chop that sucker off, and create/install the new tip. Does this make sense, or is there more to it ?

Posts: 326 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
George,
you are missing something, to answer your question.

depending on the smith and how he installs the block, it could cost MORE to have him not have to refinish the stock... it's not cut er off and glue er on...

it's cut stock to correct length
cut ebony slightly long
make it fit PERFECTLY and 90 degree in 3 plans, or even teh "whack it off" customer will complain
dowel and glue the ebony
shape to conform to your stock, this involved files, then sandpaper, then buffing, then inletting... or any combination there off...

it's a PITA to do when you aren't making the stock,

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38641 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
See this thread for someone who replaced Bobc's plastic tip on a Whitworth and is doing the same on mine. However, I would imagine you can find someone closer to home.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
Thanks for the reply. I do understand it's not just "whack it off" and there is considerable work in order to really do it right.

I just purchased a CZ 550 in 416R to which I upgraded the wood from CZ and like. Then I did a bunch of tweaking to it (bedding, jeweling, barrel band, shortening of barrel). I thought that if I could have this ebony tip installed for a reasonable cost I would really like to have it done.

I think what you are saying is what I was getting to in a round about way-that in the process of connecting, shaping, etc.. that the original stockwork might be impacted or the process might be more costly as the installer has to work around the current stock without wrecking it or repairing it after/during tip installation?

Do I get it ?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'll answer for him.

yep.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
It does sound like a neat idea. Got any pics? Your rifle sounds like it's really shaping up.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Valicek replaced my plastic tip with ebony without needing to refinish stock. He does great work. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to contact John tomorrow. It seems many on AR like his work.