Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Welding Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Question - I have a ZG47 that was made into a commercial rifle by Parker Hale.

On the left side of the receiver (not the ring) it has a pretty deep imprinted "Parker Hale" and "HUSSAR" letters. Too deep to surface grind.

If I had it welded and surface ground, would I need to reheat treat it? If so, probably going to keep the lettering.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you have a competent individual weld it, no you would not need to have it heat treated.

However....

I can almost guarantee that if you hot salt blue the receiver the filler material will not match up with the parent metal.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
As long as you have a competent individual weld it, no you would not need to have it heat treated.

However....

I can almost guarantee that if you hot salt blue the receiver the filler material will not match up with the parent metal.

Thanks! Would rust bluing avoid the matching issue?

I have a M98 Husqvarna had has side receiver scope mount that had the screw holes welded before I got it. I had to stone the inside of the action a bit and had the action hot blued. However, I don't remember if the screw holes were above or below the stock line. I'm traveling right now and need to check when I get home. I honestly don't remember any difference or them showing. But maybe I got lucky or they were below the stock line and I don't remember!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it shows have a little engraving done there.

KJK

Posts: 685 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rust bluing will greatly reduce any chance of it showing.

I have spent hours playing with different alloys, different processes, and different receivers, and have found no hard line, guaranteed match. Some receivers will weld beautifully and you can't see anything, and inexplicably the next will clearly stand out.

The closest I have found is annealing a receiver, welding it, heat treating it, and you will get a really close match.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Rust bluing will greatly reduce any chance of it showing.

I have spent hours playing with different alloys, different processes, and different receivers, and have found no hard line, guaranteed match. Some receivers will weld beautifully and you can't see anything, and inexplicably the next will clearly stand out.

The closest I have found is annealing a receiver, welding it, heat treating it, and you will get a really close match.

I too have found that welding first, then having the receiver heat treated virtually eliminates this issue.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a gunsmith weld up the side lettering and pitting using bailing wire on a 98 mauser and it worked like a charm..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote