New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 70 Trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just finished the installation of a Timmny replacement trigger into a new Model 70 in 300 wsm. Everything seems to be working perfectly but when the safety is disengaged after pulling the trigger, the firing pin falls. How do I solve this problem?

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would put the original back on.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage and I are going to have to agree on this one.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have just finished the installation of a Timmny replacement trigger into a new Model 70 in 300 wsm. Everything seems to be working perfectly but when the safety is disengaged after pulling the trigger, the firing pin falls. How do I solve this problem?

Sounds like the sear and cocking piece aren't making good contact. It's time to let a professional gunsmith finish the job for you.

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, put the original back on

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted Hide Post
Take it to a smith, I had one of those put in my 70. The best thing I ever did. A very nice trigger indeed.

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put the original trigger back on and take it to a good gunsmith for a trigger job. The M70 is one case where the factory trigger is superior to anything on the aftermarket.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that you had a better trigger and it just needed a tune up...

On your present Timney trigger I suspect that you mean it fires when you flip the safty off, is that correct..in which case you have it set to light and need more sear engagement.. Normally an easy fix..

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did EXACTLY the same thing to my M70, and had the same results. There's no good fix, because the Timney is poorly designed. I like Timneys other triggers but not the model 70. It changes the sear arc angle by 180 degrees and it won't work on a lot of guns.
The answer?
Send that puppy to Mark Penrod of Penrod Precision in Indiana. He'll make you the happy owner of the finest M70 trigger you ever shot, PERIOD! I mean it, it's the best way to go. He'll repin it and surface grind the angles and set it up to perfection. He's great guy and a super gunsmith, give him a call. His phone is

Penrod Precision
312 E College Ave
North Manchester, IN 46962-1141 Phone:
(260) 982-8385

<allen day>
posted
Thomas, I agree with everyone else that the original Model 70 trigger is the one to go with, but by all means DO have it adjusted by a good professional riflesmith.

With that said, I know of several local Model 70s with Timney triggers, and the pull on them is absolutely superb. Here's the secret: You can't simply drop in a Timney, make some adjustments to the trigger unit, then go sailing off into the sunset with a perfect trigger. The sear and the safety need to bre re-adjusted and re-timed to work with the Timney unit. Again, this requires professional installation in order to really get it right, but if the proceedure is properly handled, you can have a superb and reliable trigger out of your Timney. But again, it's not a "drop-in" unit..........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the bolt of the M70 has very much up/down play in it, no amount of gunsmithing will make up for the fact that it will be possible to push straight down on the bolt, with the safety on, then release the safety and the striker will drop. Not every time, but a lot. Mine was approaching 100% of the time. Let's say you're hunting and climbing in and out of your tree stand with the safety on, or you simply lay your rifle against a tree or rock in such a way that you inadvertently bump the bolt downward, then you flick the safety off and bang! Not for me, especially when the original is MUCH safer and can be worked into a superb trigger.

As far as the trigger pull is concerned the timney is real nice, and some of the factory Winchester triggers leave a lot to be desired, even when adjusted properly, but tuning the factory trigger is the way to go. I'm not good at explaining the mechanics of the spring pressure the original sear puts against the bottom of the bolt to keep is raised so the trigger never missed the sear's mating surface. That's all gone with the Timney and the bolt is allowed to drop down by it's own weight. At that point the sear inside the Timney trigger is too low to be caught by the trigger and when the safety is flipped off, bang!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If the bolt of the M70 has very much up/down play in it, no amount of gunsmithing will make up for the fact that it will be possible to push straight down on the bolt, with the safety on, then release the safety and the striker will drop. Not every time, but a lot

Here is what Bill Leeper does to cure the slop.
Quote:

Some find the slop in the bolt lock when the safety is full on to be objectionable. The cure is to weld up the notch in the rear of the bolt body and recut it to be a better fit on the plunger. Sometimes there is too much clearance between the bolt sleeve and the receiver and the bottom of the bolt sleeve can be welded up and recut to reduce this clearance.

Some amount of competent gunsmithing must help things.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with many here and say PUT THE M70 TRIGGER BACK ON!! Properly adjusted, there isn't a better single stage hunting trigger available anywhere. Improperly adjusted, like cutting the return spring, it can be just as unsafe as any trigger. Weight is removed by decreasing the sear engagment NOT BY MAKING THE SPRINGS WEAKER!!!!!!!
gunmaker