THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington model 30 express ? Pic ( More Pics)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted
Well, this one followed me home today. It is a remington model 30 express, barrel code puts it at August 1932. It is a 30.06 and appears to be all straight except 2 scope base holes in the top of the receiver. It cocks on opening.

I can only find reference for Weaver bases, but does anyone know if there is a base that only uses one screw in the front ring and one on the rear bridge? Maybe an old kuharsky bros B&L type or something?

Also does anyone have a good handle on what these rifles are selling for.

Thanks,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a beautiful rifle! I have two Enfield that are Winchester manufactured, and I love them...

One had a 6mm Remington heavy barrel put on it...

The other still has the factory 1918 barrel on it...
And is a real tack driver, in 30/06..

I'd take anyone I could get my hands on if the price was right and rebarrel it if the barrel was shot...

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what a nice looking original gun... call burris and see if they have scope bases...

hope you got it nice...

these are excellent platforms for making a big bore.

technically, these are not "enfields", much like a m1a is not an m-14, and for similar reasons... different trigger, different cocking mech, totally different finish and spec on metals. even though most of the metal bits interchange

i've been looking for one in the 250-325 range,but i expect i'll be looking more

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guns Unlimited in Omaha, NE, had a Remington 30 that has an old Weaver scope on it for $350 +/- in their rack yesterday (05/23/05). I only noticed it because of the schnabled forearm, but didn't look at it in detail.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. If it has only one hole on the ring and one on the bridge, it should be an easy matter to get additional holes drilled at whatever spacing is required for the bases of your choice. You could also plug the holes and use a Lyman 48 receiver sight. I wouldn't use cheapo aluminum mounts like Weavers. Carbine versions usually go for around $250-$450 in very good original condition.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weagle,
BEAUTIFUL rifle!! That is CLASS!!!
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Remington Mod-30 commercial rifle such as yours sells today in excellent condition for about $500 to $650..I would value yours at $450 to $500 with the extra holes. It appears to be in excellent condition but the holes are not a plus to a collector.....

Since you only have one hole on each ring, as I understand your post, then you can probably D&T it for about any 2 piece scope base..but you might want to try a one piece Buehler, Redfield or Weaver, and see if they line up, most of those guns were D&T'd for those bases. Also you can get a Weaver one piece and cut it to length...A good gunsmith can tell you the best route to take after he checks out the gun.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, Thanks for the info and comments. Here are a few more pictures. This is the first one of these rifles I have owned, and the I really like the balance and pointability.

The two scope base holes are 4.915 inces center to center. If anyone happens to have one of these with a 1 piece scope base, can you tell me if the holes will match.

I honestly doubt if I will be making any modifications to the gun as I will probably trade or sell it once I'm through playing with it. I'll let the new owner make any needed changes. I think this is the closest to original I've ever seen one in person.

Good shooting,
Weagle

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Another question: What is a "quide rail" on the bolt and does my rifle have it. I don't think it does, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Weagle

one of us
posted Hide Post
might be "guide rail"; a rib on the bolt or receiver rides in a corresponding recess, to better locate the bolt and improve/smooth the travel. Takes the wiggle out.

Posts: 128 | Location: East Central NC, USA | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My M30 has a rubber pad on it and no indication the butt ever had a metal plate with a "toe extension" like tis one has. Was it common on the later guns to have that old style buttplate?

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Recoilbob. I don't know which configuration is the most common. The stock, hook eyes, and metal butt plate on mine looks just like the one in my Gun Trader's Guide listed as a Model 30 A express. The receiver stamp on mine just says " MODEL 30 EXPRESS" barrel is stamped "SPRINGFIELD 30 CAL. 1906"

Weagle