New
Find
Notify
Tools

1909 argy to 9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Will this conversion require a new mag box and extractor given the parent cartridges differences vs the 9.3x62?

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
It will fit and extract using the original box and extractor.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
It will fit and extract using the original box and extractor.

KB

"Fit" is subjective in this case.

You will have to load the cartridges shorter than max OAL because the 09 box is pretty short. Also, the 09 box is way too narrow to hold 5 9.3x62 cartridges.

I might be wrong but I don't believe that, with an unmodified 09 box, the bolt will close over 4 rounds of 9.3x62.

I base this on the fact that my 09 in 30-06 would barely close over four cartridges because of the width at the shoulder. The 9.3 has the shoulder further forward than the 06.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
You're right - "fit" is subjective. As I recall from stuff I've read - no I wasn't there Wink - when the 9.3x62 was designed it was intended to fit into the standard 98 Mausers of the time, which had boxes very close to the 09 dimensions.

He didn't ask about four or five down.

The max OAL length specs for the 9.3x62 is 3.29"

The max OAL length specs for the 06 is 3.34"

What I found in the magazine I tested was the 06 was too long by a skoch, and the 9.3x62 fit, and fed, at std OAL.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kobe had to modify my custom bottom metal to handle the longer seated 9.3x62 rounds that I will use.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I'll try to say this nicely, so it's not intended to flame you 1909 lovers, but it would be a frozen day at the equator, at sea level, before I would usa a 1909 action for the 9.3x62. I would sell that thing to a real aficionado for top dollar. The action alone should bring about half the price of a complete factory CZ 550 in 9.3x62, which IMO is out-of-the-box a much better rifle than a 1909 can be made into. Then you can load the 9.3x62 as long as you want to with no problems.
KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In regards tot he CZ, I think I'll stick with the 1909 Argy. And IM being nice. Wink y
Looks lke I might have to buy a new mag box.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Walker:
Looks lke I might have to buy a new mag box.

That would be best. There are lots of possibilities - from Mk X, FN, Blackburn, and several others. Money's no issue. tu2

Good luck on your project, and best regards.

We like pictures. Smiler

KB

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're right - "fit" is subjective. As I recall from stuff I've read - no I wasn't there Wink - when the 9.3x62 was designed it was intended to fit into the standard 98 Mausers of the time, which had boxes very close to the 09 dimensions.

What I found in the magazine I tested was the 06 was too long by a skoch, and the 9.3x62 fit, and fed, at std OAL.

KB

Just so you know, I didn't mean my response as a jab at you. I was just going from my experiences with an 09 in 30-06.

It has been about ten years since I loaded for my 09 but I thought I remembered that it's box required cartridges loaded to about 3.250". After giving it some thought I believe it might have been 3.290.

Really, the larger problem was that the box and feed rails were too narrow for the 06 to feed smoothly. I would think the shoulder being further forward on the 9.3x62 would exacerbate this problem.

IMO the 09 box is highly overrated except when used for 7x57, 6.5x55 and similar cartridges. The amount of work required to gussy-up the 09 bottom metal and modify the box for longer cartridges make after-market bottom metal look like a great value, especially when you figure that you can sell the 09 box for about $150.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Most 09's need feed ramp work. After that they feed about as well as any other Mauser. Mine is chambered in 9.3X62 and I went with a different box on mine. I sold the original and put the money towards a new one.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i don't believe the 1909 box will take a 3.35" round,

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, you are correct. My 10.75X68 is build on a VZ24 using an 09 box. Max length I load to is 3.295. 3.300 would be max. The rails and ramp had to be modified for the cartridges to feed smoothly.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

KB

I didn't mean my response as a jab at you. I was just going from my experiences with an 09 in 30-06.

It has been about ten years since I loaded for my 09 but I thought I remembered that it's box required cartridges loaded to about 3.250". After giving it some thought I believe it might have been 3.290.

Really, the larger problem was that the box and feed rails were too narrow for the 06 to feed smoothly. I would think the shoulder being further forward on the 9.3x62 would exacerbate this problem.

IMO the 09 box is highly overrated except when used for 7x57, 6.5x55 and similar cartridges. The amount of work required to gussy-up the 09 bottom metal and modify the box for longer cartridges make after-market bottom metal look like a great value, especially when you figure that you can sell the 09 box for about $150.

Jason,

I didn't take your post as a jab. I know you better than that. It's not your style. Smiler

We're just discussing. In my initial response, I was answering his question, literally, and not adding additional info - intentionally - because obviously it's a little more complicated than just the extractor and magazine.

Basically, I agree with all that's said. I have held back some 09 bottom metal to use with 8x57, etc. I was thinking of using 09 bottom metal, with minimal changes, for a 9.3x57, for example. As you said, I think the 09 bottom metal is over rated, but by now it's well known that IMO the 09 action is way over rated as well. The modifications needed to make it a decent sporter are too numerous to list, and of course they start with the magazine, for cartridges other than the 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x57, and derivitives, etc.

I am of the firm opinion why stop with selling off the bottom metal, when you could sell the whole thing and get something that doesn't require so much gussying up - with feed rails, heat treating, bottom metal, etc. etc. I could go on, but folks hear what they want to hear.

I still like my Mausers, and probably always will. They are well broke in and familiar. Lately though, every time I pick up and fondle one of my CZs, my Mausers become jealous - they know I mess around and I'm a slut. Wink I'm easy, and readily admit that I'm a pushover for a tight, fresh action that hasn't been molested by having some gunsmith's hands all over it. Wink

KB