New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brno 602 new barrel question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello. For those that have done this before, I want to have a 404 Jeffery caliber barrel put on my 458 WM Brno 602. My question is how important is the third screw thru the forearm into the barrel? Thank you. Gary

Posts: 465 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
None whatsoever. Every maker who used that 19th century feature, and they all did, has long since abandoned them. The theory was to anchor the barrel firmly to the wood stock, which as we now know, is a bad idea.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
depends -- are you going to load to 60K or classic loads?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classic 404 loads.

Posts: 465 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What difference does the pressure make?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
What difference does the pressure make?

uhm, the difference between a shattered stock and a sound one? at classic load levels, "who cares" about a third bit . for pushing it into 416 remington specs, (or rum) it can certainly break stocks without a third lug -- btdt

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Let us not confuse that screw, with the separate recoil lug against which the rear sight boss rests. So, yes you need the barrel recoil lug, of course, But the screw? Ok the reason it is there is to hold the barrel down, but without the lug, which is a separate piece, the screw is useless; it's lug is quite small.
I much prefer the Model 70 type recoil lugs which are attached to the barrels.
You are a ZKK expert; you know what is under the barrel.
I just want to make sure that the OP knows that just using that screw won't help him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok then. If I am understanding things here, I need to order the new barrel set up like the original barrel, not just a turned barrel. Sorry but I have never set up a project like this before. Thanks. Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, can the barrel maker do just the 3d lug and not the island for the rear sight? Just the bottom and not the top?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
First, understand that to make an integral lug, either top or bottom will cost at least twice the price of the barrel; you have to start with an oversize blank and turn and mill out for the lugs. Not an efficient way to do it and only for the high end, well heeled clients. Definitely the most expensive way to do it.
And not necessary. The usual way is to use a standard barrel, and either solder on, or dovetail in, a barrel recoil lug. Look at a winchester model 70 and see how they are done. Very large, separate lug, soldered into a slot in the bottom of the barrel.
Can a barrel maker just make a lower lug? Most barrel makers won't do that; custom smiths do that. Very rarely as, as I said, it is very time consuming for no gain.
The original BRNO lug is just a little piece of steel set into the stock and the rear sight base has a lower flat on it. Again, pretty, but very expensive to make. Unless you have $1200 to spend on a barrel, don't do it that way.
So for the OP; pick the barrel you want; (I use only Douglas, easy to get and as accurate as any, more accurate than most, well proven). Make a recoil lug like the Model 70, and solder it into a milled slot under the barrel. I can send you a picture of what you need if you PM me your email address.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Or use a solder on rear sight band that has an integral recoil lug on the bottom; Recknagel. Those look cool.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
is truth == i am more concerned about 3rd lug than the screw .. though zkk ans cz aren't exactly n00bs or low volume producers of big bores ... all of my heavies have a 3rd lug, most of them have a screw,but not all

#dumptrump

476AR,