Find
Notify
Tools

Advice Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good day,

Through a series of unfortunate events, I have landed up with a 7mm Rem, 338 win,300 win and a 264 win all in Winchester Rifles. Along with these rifles, I was given a box with a whole lot of Weatherby reamers.

Apparently, someone wanted to convert the above calibres to their Weatherby counterparts. Eg 338 win to 340 Weatherby, 300 win to 300 Weatherby etc.

My question is will it be possible to just rechamber the rifles or are there feeding issues, alternations that will have to be done etc?

My mind says sell the rifles and move on but there’s a tiny voice in my head that’s saying I should carry on with the projects. What say the experts !

Posts: 392 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Leave the 264 Win Mag as is.

Posts: 7518 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LDO speaks truth. Sell the rest. Use the 264. Some gunsmith will take the reamers off your hands.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
leave the 264 ..

iirc, the 7 weatherby COULD clean up a 7 rem .. but then you'd have reduced the value of the rifle 50% and gained 50 fps... there only like .050 difference in the carts

the 300 weatherby is much longer than the 300 win ... in the order of +0.250 .. and would require major rework .. again, removing ~50% of the value of the gun for nil gain, and lots of work...

unless i was finishing out a weatherby collection, there is no way i would rechamber and rework these ... its lots harder to restore than to chamber later...

frankly, i'd sell the 264 and the 7, keep the 300, sell the reamers, and call it a good day --- if the 300 shot well .. but i have a great 300 i never shoot, so sell them all

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the sensible replies!

Doesn’t seem to make sense to try and follow through with the old mans dream.

I think best for me would donate the 300 and 338 to an under privileged Ph/hunter.

The 264 and 7mm are scary accurate so I will keep those.

Posts: 392 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about your part of the world, but Winchester went out of business (again) and now the old rifles are collectible... Big Value. If you must have Weatherby, I would sell the rifles here, USA, and buy Weatherby and possibly pocket some cash. As said, Weatherby's don't give you a great deal more and ammo is scarce and expensive. For North Am. .264 or .300 are pretty "all around." Luck. Happy trails.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
Don't know about your part of the world,
His location says south africa
quote:

but Winchester went out of business (again)
truthfully, no, "winchestere" didn't go bankrupt, USRAC, who made winchester branded rifles under license did, now being made by one of the largest fire arms firms in the world, FN -- when USRAC had their bankruptcy sales, i have been told by reliable sources present at auction and inspection, that a: the machines where completely worn out junk and b: the last year to 18 months of production were made from existing parts -- and we've ALL complained that the 90s-the end model 70s usualy had feeding issues ..
quote:
and now the old rifles are collectible... Big Value.
no, not really - that bubble burst when the new FNs started rolling out as far better rifles
quote:

If you must have Weatherby, I would sell the rifles here, USA, and buy Weatherby and possibly pocket some cash.
totally agree
quote:

As said, Weatherby's don't give you a great deal more and ammo is scarce and expensive.
ammo is no farther or uncommon as my reloading bench or my keyboard
quote:

For North Am. .264 or .300 are pretty "all around." Luck. Happy trails.

again agree

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Me, I'd keep the .264 and .338 and sell the remainder as well as the reamers. Buy ammo and go hunting.

The 264 and 7mm are so similar, I hardly see the need for both.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would keep the 7mm and 338 and sell the others. The 7mm barrel will outlast the 264 by about 100 times. or 10. It died for a reason. OTOH, you can be the only guy on the block with one, which is reason enough to keep it and sell the 7mm. Ok, keep them all but definitely sell the 300.
Do not re-chamber anything to a Wby.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I would keep the 7mm and 338 and sell the others. The 7mm barrel will outlast the 264 by about 100 times. or 10. It died for a reason. OTOH, you can be the only guy on the block with one, which is reason enough to keep it and sell the 7mm. Ok, keep them all but definitely sell the 300.
Do not re-chamber anything to a Wby.

Yep! What he said!

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote