New
Find
Notify
Tools

Build a 250 Savage Bolt Rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't a fella buy a Kimber 84M in 22/250 and have it rebored?

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Woodjack,

Beautiful rifle, can you tell me more about it.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prewar, I don't know exactly what you are after, and whether you have a particular stock maker etc in mind, but nevertheless the following comment.

About the sweetest guns I have seen sized for the .250 Savage (and brethren) is the Serengeti "Tiger Cat". Serengeti currently builds on a modified Kimber M84 action - just about perfectly sized for the .250 case. The action is not only modified to shed weight, but primarily to fit in a very light and elegant stock. You simply have to hold one of these rifles to appreciate the wand-like quality of the finished product. Not that weight tells the complete story, but I think these (laminated) wood stocked rifles end up weighing 6 - 6.5 lbs, scoped appropriately. The weight will naturally also depend on the exact stock blank used.

I'm personally not a great fan of lightweight rifles - it is easier to shoot a heavier gun. But I have to admit coveting one of these rifles every time I get to hold and shoulder one. Surprisingly (at least to me), they are not hard to shoot accurately either. But as I mentioned, you really have to experience them "live" to appreciate how petite and elegant they are. Pictures simply don't do the trick.

I don't know if small and lightweight is what you are looking for, but just in case, here is the webpage of Serengeti. The page is "frame oriented" so you have to follow the "Products" and "TigerCat" links to get this basic information page:

http://www.serengetirifles.com/tigercat.html

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
prewar70,
not much to tell, simply a very well done 250sav rig,by a mostly unknown smith.
Posted to give you some pre64 inspiration if thats the way you end up going.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote