New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolversmith
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for an experienced gunsmith who specializes in revolvers. I need to have my father's .32-20 Colt Police Positive Special reblued and the barrel, which has practically no rifling visible replaced. I have the replacement barrel. If there are any such 'smiths in Virginia or North Carolina, so much the better. Appreciate any leads.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i don't know any specialized pistol smiths that take repairs/rebuilds, ... they charge ALOT...

you might call lonestar armory

before replacing the barrel, can you try something?

get forming bore cleaner and a coffee can ... fill the barrel and let it stand for an hour... hit it with a nylon brush, repeat 2-3 times, and see how it shoots?

best of luck

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Its an heirloom and you want it done right so send it to Turnbull or one of the other big names that deals with restoration on a regular basis, not just refurbishment. There's a huge difference in the end product of each.

Jeff's right that they'll cost more but that's largely because of the time they put into a project, not just higher shop rates.

If you weren't aware, you can ship a pistol directly across state lines and have it sent back to your home when it is a repair. No need to go through an FFL holder.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Colt's Custom Shop?

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a list of 6 handgun/SA smiths that Ive wrote down from my readings

There is also the American Pistol Smith Guild you could check into the some of them

http://www.americanpistol.com/guild_members_list.php

Im sure most these guys are expensive

You could ask around at the Colt Forum too
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wahoo:
Looking for an experienced gunsmith who specializes in revolvers. I need to have my father's .32-20 Colt Police Positive Special reblued and the barrel, which has practically no rifling visible replaced. I have the replacement barrel. If there are any such 'smiths in Virginia or North Carolina, so much the better. Appreciate any leads.

I would talk to Turnbull Restoration outside of Rochester NY, they are the best.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Maybe some more info is in order. Generally the hard part when working with a guy or company you don't know is getting the vision in your head into his accurately. Two people (especially in an artistic trade like guns) can be saying the same thing while seeing very different end results in their mind's eye.

The restoration houses deal in this every day whereas the general purpose bargain gunsmith may think a few passes on a buffing wheel and a double-dip in a hot blue tank is the same as "good as new". Not his fault because 98% of the client base he serves probably agrees. It may be all you want too, if shiney black rounded corners, sunken screw holes and wavy flats don't bug you.

If instead, you want the gun to look and function like it just came from the factory, you need someone proficient in multiple finishing techniques and traditional finishes. Even what screws were treated in what manner, how the hammer and trigger were finished, and so on.

That requires a pretty good knowledge of many different arms from many different makers over many years of changes in production techniques and you pay a premium for that experience and you get a premium product in return.

If you don't want that level of restoration that's perfectly fine; its your gun to do with as you please. But if that is what you want and you send it to someone that doesn't understand your definition of restored, the damage done cannot be undone for any reasonable price (if at all). It can be heartbreaking on piece with personal significance.

Unfortunately I learned this the hard way before there was an internet with all these great places to get an education. Good luck; show us some pictures if you can (before and after would be great!)

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without question I would send it to Jim Stroh, Alpha Precision. Trust me, give him a call.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote