New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 vs 9.3x64
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering one of the above for a Mauser project, and would appreciate some informed advice. It appears that the '62 would be similiar to the .35 Whelan, ballistically. The '64, however appears to be a larger case (Jeffery?)

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
The 9.3x64 isn't based on any other case and isn't a lot larger than the 62 but will give about 300fps greater velocity. The head is larger than the '06 family but smaller than the H&H family. A fantastic cartridge but brass is somewhat difficult to come by;unless you need the extra power go for the 62. If you like a challenge, go for the 64.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Elder:
than the H&H family. A fantastic cartridge but brass is somewhat difficult to come by;.

Is factory ammo available in the US? (I know, I could search, but I figure someone here will know!) On any rebbl/rechamber project, I like to start with factory stuff if available, to establish a "baseline"...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
I don't believe RWS-U.S.A. imports it anymore--at least that's the story I got when I was looking a couple years ago. I did manage to score 2 boxes RWS factory stuff locally and had to get my German buddy to import some from the Old Country. Old Western Scrounger didn't have any, either, but is worth a try. Maybe Ray Atkinson can help you as he is very familiar with this round. Bullets aren't any problem at all. Maybe an outfit that specialzes in European rifles etc. could help. Maybe you could ask one of our European friends about exporting some for you? In my redneck opinion, it's worth the trouble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3X62 cases can be made from 30/06 cases easily. The 9.3X64 is a totally another cat and rather expensive. RWS is the only supplier and Old West Scrounger is the only source in the US. The cost for the 64 is $32/20 retail.

here is a link to a commercial source for the 9.3X64 in NY. It is $58 for 20 but is loaded with either Barnes or Woodleigh bullets so that is not a bad price at all considering the cost of the projectiles.

I have a reamer for each of those rounds and am leaning heavily towards the 9.3X64 but I hate to pay that much for brass. I would imagine 100 rounds would last me a lifetime and I already have the reloading dies.

http://www.safariarms.com/ammolist.htm

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I notice Reamer Rentals lists a 9.3x64 Brenneke. Do you happen to know if this is the "standard" 9.3x64?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pedestal, the 9.3X64 and the 9.3X64 Brenneke are one in the same.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<bearguide>
posted
The 9.3x62 is a bit more powerful than the 35 Whelen and the 9.3x64 about the same as the 375 H&H, when looking at energy data.
Most who've used the 9.3x62 will attest it has far greater knockdown power than one would speculate looking at it's data alone. I've noticed this myself and have heard/read it mentioned many times by others. No one seems to have scientific proof, but it seems to be a perfect match in caliber, bullet weight and velocity.
In Germany, where these calibers originate, the 9.3x62 is far more popular.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using both for the last couple of years or so (9.3x62 & 64) both with 26" barrels...The best I could get from the 9.3x64 was a little less than 200 FPS more than the 9.3x62...The brass is hard to get and very expensive and the difference is minimal so I sold the 9.3x64...

Make no mistake the 9.3x64 is a whale of a round and probably a better "all around" cartridge than anything else including the great 375 H&H or 338 Win. and thats no light praise....

But I had a 375 H&H so I opted for the 9.3x62 and sold the 64.....I could have sold the 9.3x62, 338 Win.,375 H&H, and kept the 9.3x64 and been ahead of the game as it would do it all but then I would only have one gun, makes since to me???????

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Myself and a friend have both started 9.3x62 rifle projects based on M98 actions, a Gew 98 and a VZ-24. Loaded ammo is available from Old Western Scrounger and Natchez. At this point we are lengthening the magazine wells so as to accomadate longer bullet lengths, though I understand that the standard round should feed through the unmodified M98 mag weel.

quote:
Originally posted by Pedestal:
I am considering one of the above for a Mauser project, and would appreciate some informed advice. It appears that the '62 would be similiar to the .35 Whelan, ballistically. The '64, however appears to be a larger case (Jeffery?)

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In your opinion, would a 24" bbl serve the '62 about as well as a 26"? Although the extra length serves well in magnum class cartrigdes, I still find it a bit unhandy...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be using a VZ-24, as well. Would appreciate any details you might care to share. (bbl manufacterer/length, etc)

<toto>
posted
I have two 9.3x62's. one 23.6", and one 26". using the same loadwith 250gr. nos. bt. I get 100ft.per sec. faster from the 26". I personally don't think thats enough to make a difference. Hope this helps. Hi Ray hows it going. fws

one of us
posted Hide Post
toto, that a big difference from 2" of barrel in a 9,3 caliber.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote