Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30 Rem Bolt Rifle
 Login/Join

posted
I still think a .30 Remington would make a dandy cast bullet gun. The hard part is finding a suitable action due to the odd head size. The Montana Mini action, which I am told will be available in a .420 bolt face, is still years away. What about an original Remingtom Model 30 bolt rifle? That would be bigger than I'd like. Are there any quality actions that could be opened up from .378 (.222size)? How about the Sako Vixen? I'd like a magazine length of at least 2.75", so to allow longer bullets seated out, instead of the cramped 2.5" of the factory rounds. I would appreciate your input, guys

Posts: 6 | Location: Eaagan, MN | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
woudl make a great round, but the 7.62x39 outperforms and is totally available

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
woudl make a great round, but the 7.62x39 outperforms and is totally available

jeffe
Or just locate a Remington 788 in .30-30 WCF.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sako L461 bolt face can be opened up to accomodate the .422 head of the .30 Remington (and also the .440 head of the 7.62x39), but the magazine is going to be too short. The Charles Daly Mini Mauser is available with a lengthend magazine, but it comes with a .470 bolt face for the .22-250. It might be possible to get a CD Mini Mauser made for the .223, open the bolt face, and replace the magazine with the one from the .22-250 action, but I'm not at all sure of the practicality of this.

Now, cartridges that will fit the Sako or CD magazine are the new Remington 6.8 or the 6.5 Grendel. Both are based on the .30 Remington head, I believe. Or, you could build a wildcat .30 Rem short based on either cartridge, which would be just about the same as the 7.62x39. So like the man says, why don't you just buy or build a 7.62x39 in the first place?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Lind'06,

I from time to time see a Remington M30 in .30 Rem, but it seems the intervals between rifles is getting longer. I haven't looked for one seriously though. They are big also.

I handled a CZ M527 rebarreled to 6.5 Grendel last month. A nice little rifle, and the builder told me the cartridge is derived from the PPC case (which came from the .220 Russian). The 527 also comes from the factory in 7.62X39, so that would be easy as Jeffe says.

The 6.8 SPC does derive from the .30 Rem case according to reports written by guys involved in the design of the thing.

You could build this rifle on a single shot action too.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have been thinking aobut this cartidge for cast bullets for years.
Again very hard to a action to work with it.

The only thing I could come up with is to modify a mauser action, like a Yugo 48.

I did the following several years ago for a 223 and it worked really well.

Recut the bolt face like FN did for the 222. You surface off the existing rim, then cut a new recess for the cartidge. A new extractor is required, also shorten the firing pin tip.

The barrel is breeched like a Yugo safety breech and a slot cut for the extractor hook.

I then made a insert from .040" steel to hold the cartidges, like a detachable magazine top section. I then attached this into the existing trigger guard. I used a Rem M700 223 magazine spring, and machined a Mauser type follower to fit.

I had to machine a new floorplate to fit the magazine spring and guard and changed the bow to a lever release.

It worked better than I thought it would and have done several M70's this way to 223.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speak of the devil...
I snapped off a few pictures of my 1934 vintage Rem M30A Express in none other than .30 Rem Razzer Rem took several steps to keep the weight down on this one and is a pretty handy sized rifle. Note the fast barrel breech transition. Also has the upside down crescent buttplate. This one needs a Lyman 48R as it was cut at the factory for one...even has the 56H front sight. Anyone have one gathering dust that we could work a deal on? Smiler

JimW - Probably need to find another donor eh? Confused

Rem30A RtLg

Rem 30A RcvrTop

Rem 30A Left Ctr

Rem 30A Left

Posts: 331 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pfiefer,

Do you have any photos in better focus?

I see that your gun is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Does the rear bridge have one or two holes? I have one with just one hole in the rear bridge.

Do the holes on yours seem aligned with the bore? Mine seem to be off and I have heard of another that is, seems the drilling fixture may have been off.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recoil Bob,
If your gun has only one hole in the rear bridge then I suspect a Buehler one piece mount will fit it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray,

Is the Buehler a period mount,are they still available?
From the info I can find (Sharpe's THE RIFLE IN AMERICA"), M30's were D&T'd from the factory, just wondering if the three hole deal is factory original.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,
That's an interesting note. I've seen them both ways. The last one (a 30S) I saw had the front two holes just left of what appeared to be center. I'll see if I can get a sharper pict...
jp

Posts: 331 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Thanks Ray,

Is the Buehler a period mount,are they still available?
From the info I can find (Sharpe's THE RIFLE IN AMERICA"), M30's were D&T'd from the factory, just wondering if the three hole deal is factory original.

Thanks, Rob

My 30S, has three holes, two/front, one/rear.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Hog Killer. Hows the alignmnet on yours?
Recoil Rob

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Recoil Rob,

Just took a look at it. They seems to also be off to the left of center. I did not get the calipers out to measure, but it is plainly off center in the matted area down the lenght of the action. Would need to measure in referance to action and not just eyeball it. My 30S ser.# 290xx. The original barrel was code dated to May, 1938. I really do not care about how it is drilled and tapped, as I am using the Lyman 48 sight and do not intend to scope it. (458 Lott)

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine's a 30SL too, still has the original Lyman. S/N 101XX, 1927 barrel code.

Thought about supersizing it as you've done, but it's a .35 Rem in great condition, seems a shame to change it.

Do you still have your original barrel? What caliber was it? Take much work to get the .458 to feed properly?

Rob

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I just sold the original barrel today. It was a 30-06, that someone had rechambered to 308 Norma Mag. Which was fine with me as the bolt face work was already done. It feeds the Lott rounds just as slick as you please, does not matter what bullet, even the North Fork FP solid is very smooth.

Does your early rifle cock on close or was it changed over to cock on openning?

If your rifle is still mostly original, I thing you are right to leave it that way.

Hog Killer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is cock on open, I think only the earliest were cock on close.

Gun's in great shape, I guess I'll keep my eye out for another that's not so collectible.

Rob

posted Hide Post
Guys:

Thanks for all your input toward my post. I really appreciate the knowledge you pass on.

William

Posts: 6 | Location: Eaagan, MN | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Remington Model 30s were not factory drilled and tapped for scope bases, only on the side for receiver sights.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Remington Model 30s were not factory drilled and tapped for scope bases, only on the side for receiver sights.

Quoting from page 311 of Sharpes "THE RIFLE IN AMERICA"....

"This (the M30) can be regularly supplied drilled and tapped at an extra charge foe Weaver telescopic sights and Weaver-type mounts"

Not standard, but a factory extra.

Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Hog Killer, just curious, does yurs have the steel buttplate or a red pad?

Thanks, Rob

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I still have the checkered steel butt plate, but not on the rifle.
As it is now a 458 Lott

Hog Killer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, forgot about that, ouch! Is the butt plate flat or curved?

Interested in selling it if it fits mine?

Thanks, Rob

Rob

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've feed and shot Hogkiller's rifle... it feeds ANYTHING!!! and a sweet shooter

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote