New
Find
Notify
Tools

Test firing in the house/shop/garage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody know of a way to safely and inconspicuously test-fire a rifle in, say, one's garage? I'm looking for something that will safely stop the bullets and muffle the muzzle blast enough to avoid alarming the neighbors. The purpose is to be able to work up max loads with varous powder/bullet combinations so this is really a reloading question, but I figure gunsmiths occasionally need to test-fire guns without making a trip to the range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You’re not serious are you?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably the easiest way is to get yourself a 10' length of 6" heavy gauge steel pipe, build a stand that will hold it at a comfortable shooting angle and fill the first couple of feet with sand. Line the opening with some dense "equipment case" foam so you don't damage the barrel of the weapon during recoil. I've seen some with a small hole in the top covered with a hinged plate to act as a vent. You can reduce the sound by using acoustic tiles in the area you are firing in.

I don't know about working up max loads since conditions aren't the same in a garage versus the field, but it works for test firing purposes. Don't get caught. Most places it is illegal to fire a weapon within city limits or in the home.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when I was in gunsmithing school, we had a snail trap we testfired into. It said it would handle up to to a 338 win mag. I never tried that large of a caliber but it soaked up everything we ever shot into it. As to the muzzle blast, it will muffle it some if you stick the muzzle inside the spout. In your garage and your neighbors inside they will never hear it. I dont know about your local laws, some cities have a no firearm discharge policy some dont. Lead buildup in the air is another very serious concern. A side note here, a couple of guys that graduated 2 years ahead of me put a snail trap in the basement of thier gun shop. One is very very sick now and the other has just been diagnosed with severe lead poisoning. Both men are in their thirties and will probably never see 40. These guys shot into it alot, not just the occasional testfire. I don't see how a trap like this would help in load development, since you need to know velocity and grouping, I would definitely stick to the range.

Posts: 85 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I don't think what you want to do will work. As I have always seen it, the purpose of working up a load is shooting a variety of charge weights to find out which one groups better at a distance - not just to find out how far one can push the firearm.

Test firing is one thing; lighting off fifty rounds in the garage is another entirely. Perhaps I don't fully understand what you're looking to do, but I think all you'd end up with is a big mess and possibly a hole in the floor. Work up loads at the range man - it'll get you of the house for while!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And just when I was starting to believe that old saying about there being no such thing as a stupid question!

jumping

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just open the window and shoot one in the sky.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkL:
Anybody know of a way to safely and inconspicuously test-fire a rifle in, say, one's garage? I'm looking for something that will safely stop the bullets and muffle the muzzle blast enough to avoid alarming the neighbors. The purpose is to be able to work up max loads with varous powder/bullet combinations so this is really a reloading question, but I figure gunsmiths occasionally need to test-fire guns without making a trip to the range.

The neighbor's cat should make a dandy bullet trap. Afterwards you can invite the neighbors over for lunch. jumping

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot a .223 into the end grain of pieces of fire wood, in the garage.

It is best to do that when the neighbors are not home.

Then I was shooting a 32acp into end grain to check for jamming. One of the rounds missed the fire wood.

The hole that pistol made is still there, and I am going to have to fix it someday, before the wife finds it.

In the mean time, I am on the wagon about shooting in the suburbs.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't do it. I used to have a piece of 12" pipe stuck in the ground of my shop. I used it to fireform. I was not concerned about noise, just didn't want to travel to the range. The smoke after a few rounds was terrible and not good for you I think.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, guys. I knew it was a long shot, but you never know. Someone might have the perfect solution. I sure couldn't think of one.

Just to clarify my goals, I was looking for a way to find the max powder charge at home by increasing the charge until pressure signs appear or max velocity is achieved. Then I could load multiple rounds at that charge and less for group testing at the range.

However, it seems like it would be very difficult to incorporate a chronograph into any setup that would attenuate the muzzle blast sufficiently. Also, the possibility of contaminating my garage and myself and my family with lead is a big turnoff.

So, it appears to be infeasible, but it didn't cost anything to float the idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m going to be so bold as to say that anyone stupid enough to fire a weapon inside their gargage, back stop or no back stop, is not responsible enough to own firearms in the first place.

If that person is a gunsmith holding an FFL they are twice stupid since getting caught could also result in losing that licence.

Of course you can build something to make it physically “possible†to do...but can you imagine trying to explain your reasoning to a cop or a jury if you got caught...which you eventually will.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just to clarify my goals, I was looking for a way to find the max powder charge at home by increasing the charge until pressure signs appear or max velocity is achieved. Then I could load multiple rounds at that charge and less for group testing at the range.

Probably wouldn't be a good idea to assemble and fire multiple rounds with loads that are showing pressure signs. If you do, then perhaps the neighbors should be listening so they will know when to call an ambulance. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
I’m going to be so bold as to say that anyone stupid enough to fire a weapon inside their gargage, back stop or no back stop, is not responsible enough to own firearms in the first place.

If that person is a gunsmith holding an FFL they are twice stupid since getting caught could also result in losing that licence.

Of course you can build something to make it physically “possible†to do...but can you imagine trying to explain your reasoning to a cop or a jury if you got caught...which you eventually will.

Then you would be in a total state of shock visiting my shop. I test fire guns everyday in my shop. I tweak a screw, walk around the corner and fire a round, make an adjustment, walk to the bullet trap and fire a round. Pick up an MP5 off the bench, walk to the back of the shop, insert a full magazine and empty it in to a bullet trap with one pull of the trigger. How cool is that???

My business and shop is located at my residence. I don't have any special soundproofing so the whole neighborhood hears it. In the summer time, neighbors have been seen walking to my shop with their guns cased for me to perform some work.

There is a Jr. High School directly across the street and a Sheriff's Sub-Station 100 yards from my front door. I have been in this location 26 years now and the only time the cops come by is to have their weapons worked on, for a cup of coffee, or, to show me one of their latest toys.

Test firing weapons is a part of my job description and so as long as I am licensed to do business, I'll keep on test firing. Of course, this ain't California. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
quote:

Then you would be in a total state of shock visiting my shop. I test fire guns everyday in my shop. I tweak a screw, walk around the corner and fire a round, make an adjustment, walk to the bullet trap and fire a round. Pick up an MP5 off the bench, walk to the back of the shop, insert a full magazine and empty it in to a bullet trap with one pull of the trigger. How cool is that???

My business and shop is located at my residence. I don't have any special soundproofing so the whole neighborhood hears it. In the summer time, neighbors have been seen walking to my shop with their guns cased for me to perform some work.

There is a Jr. High School directly across the street and a Sheriff's Sub-Station 100 yards from my front door. I have been in this location 26 years now and the only time the cops come by is to have their weapons worked on, for a cup of coffee, or, to show me one of their latest toys.

Test firing weapons is a part of my job description and so as long as I am licensed to do business, I'll keep on test firing. Of course, this ain't California. Big Grin

Not to start a big battle over “opinions“...but I lived in Utah the middle 1970’s (Sandy, Park City, Provo, and Orem) and I had a brother-in-law who got busted and fined by the Provo PD for shooting a pellet gun in his front yard, and a co-worker that was arrested and spent the night in jail for firing a shotgun in his back yard in Salt Lake City on New Years Eve.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Provo? I can believe that, but when you wrote
quote:

I just didn't want anyone getting the wrong impression that a licensed gunsmith wasn't allowed to test fire weapons at his POB, where ever it may be.

Sandy, what were you doing in Sandy? Sandy's about 2 blocks South of here. Big Grin Should have stayed.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
In a small gun shop in my town the owner does a little minor smithing. He has a snailtrap in the back. I've been in the shop when he's taken a pistol to test fire it in the trap. You can hear it, but it's not loud.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Provo? I can believe that, but when you wrote
quote:

I just didn't want anyone getting the wrong impression that a licensed gunsmith wasn't allowed to test fire weapons at his POB, where ever it may be.

Sandy, what were you doing in Sandy? Sandy's about 2 blocks South of here. Big Grin Should have stayed.

Brother, I don’t want to get into an argument with you over this...but I also have an FFL and I know for a fact that the licence does not exempt the holder from any state, county or city laws or regulations. If you live in a city or county that has a law against discharging firearms within the their boundries your FFL does not exempt you from those laws. Just because you might have friendly neighbors and/or cops doesn’t change that fact. I would wager that there are very few (if any) residentially zoned areas in this country where discharging a firearm is not against the law.

I lived in Utah when I worked for Sun Classics Pictures up in Park City...Grizzly Adams and all those other stupid shows they did. Also worked on The Executioners Song in Provo/Orem doubling Tommy Lee Jones and, believe it or not, Rosanna Arqutte! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best setup I ever saw for this was my gunsmiths old shop. He basically had a quansan hut type structure buried into a hillside. ( actually it was concrete and not metal but shape the same.

In the very back room of his shop there was a 10" gasline pipe about 15 feet buried horizontally into the base of the hillside. He had built a room back there and soundproofed it ( its been a few years I can't remember what he soundproffed it with, but egg cartoons would work ).

He could discharge any firearm he wanted into that and it worked excellent ( I also remember a exhaust fan being back there ). Standing outside the building you could not even hear the discharge of a firearm.

I would also check both your local ordinaces and property convenents many prohibit this, I was looking at a piece of property a couple of weeks ago and the seller was a Anti-gun dickhead who had incorporated firearm restrictions into the covenants. I told the realtor I will keep looking and no thanks on that piece of property.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rick

May I ask where you obtained your information that discharging a firearm inside a garage or building is illegal or stupid?

May I ask where you got the idea that firing a a firearm inside a garage or building would cause a licensed gunsmith to lose his FFL?

I have been gunsmithing since 1972. I've owned facilities in 3 differant locations, all of them inside the city limits of 2 differant cities. I always had a bullet trap that I test fired in on a near daily basis. Handguns, shotguns, rifles. Using both jacketed and lead bullets. The bullet traps were constructed with a safe design and materials. Adequate ventilation was provided. In over 30 years there have been no accidents or injuries. I still have good health and all my mental facultys.

In both cities I'm refering to it is not illegal to discharge a firearm in the city limits. It is illegal to RECKLESSLY discharge a firearm or disturb the peace.

My competitor across town is in the city limits and guess what, he test fires firearms in his shop. I can think of at least 3 gunsmiths that were active here years ago and they ALL had bullet traps and fired inside the city limits.

I have visited many other gunsmithing facilities that had some way to safely test fire firearms in their shop. That includes Trinidad State College, again in the city limits.

When I repair, modify, rebuild, rebarrel, or reblue a gun. It gets thoroughly test fired for function in my shop. If accuracy work was involved it gets tested at the range later. It would be difficult if not impossible to provide good reliable gunsmithing without test firing. Not to mention covering your self for liability. If it involved a trip to a gun range for each firearm you worked on, your productivity would be pretty low and your prices very high.

I dont know how much experience you have at making a living gunsmithing. Your statements lead me to believe just about none. I realize you may be correct for the local ordnances in your city and maybe the flaky state of California. I think you should carefully review the information you have based your opinions on.

I definately think you should thoughtfully reconsider why and who you are calling stupid.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick0311,

got to agree with the group of FFL holders...I shoot in my homemade "lizard trap" a couple times a week. I realize you may be in Kalifornia, but most of the rest of the west is still free country. In Idaho the laws read that is basically illegal to discharge firearms inside of a city in a reckless manner.
regards,

Rich

PS: play nice, stupid is such a harsh way to express an opinion.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I find nothing at all wrong with your question and in fact there are commercial bullet traps made to do exactly what you want.

http://www.snailtraps.com/

These are pretty common in the gun shops in my neck of the woods and it's pretty easy to baffle the noise so that they are almost silent. They aren't cheap though.

The most low tech version I ever saw was in a guy's basement where he kept a 55 gal plastic drum full of wet sand next to the open stairs that lead down from the 1st floor. From the top step he shot through a homemade baffle straght down into the drum full of sand which had a cloth top over it to keep the sand from splashing out. Worked great and it was very quiet.

Good shooting,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Asking the question is not stupid at all. Turning it into an argument is, and you certainly didn't do that. The gentleman from Kalifornia did that imposing what he deems prudent. It isn't the first time a self righteous left coaster tried to impose their views of reality on others, and it certainly won't be the last. Many people test fire from their homes. Only you can decide if it is prudent or not.

I've tried to figure out the same thing but decided it wasn't worth the trouble since a firing range is only 10 minutes from my home. But I would if I could come up with an affordable, dependable contraption to do so. Jim R

Posts: 78 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: 29 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick is correct. Discharging a weapon within my city limits IS illegal. And anyone caught doing it can be charged and jailed. My only thing is that I don't believe this rule applies to my business, because back in 1980 when I applied for my current business license, I had to appear before the county board and state the nature of my business and list ALL activities that would take place on the premises.

The surrounding neighbors, the school district, Fire Department and Sheriff's Office were all notified of my intentions and of the nature of my business and were given the opportunity to appear and be heard at the hearing but none showed. The application stated the extent of business I intended to engage in at my residence, and test firing customers guns was listed. The boards only concern was regarding how much gun powder I intended on storing at my residence, and was there sufficient parking. Also, the business had to be within the dwelling and not a separate building, which made hauling equipment interesting.

Other than this, Rick is correct. Besides, he's my brother and anyone who can double as Rosanna Arquette and come on this site and admit it, you can bet I've got his back! Big Grin Semper fi!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim R:
Asking the question is not stupid at all. Turning it into an argument is, and you certainly didn't do that. The gentleman from Kalifornia did that imposing what he deems prudent. It isn't the first time a self righteous left coaster tried to impose their views of reality on others, and it certainly won't be the last. Many people test fire from their homes. Only you can decide if it is prudent or not.

I've tried to figure out the same thing but decided it wasn't worth the trouble since a firing range is only 10 minutes from my home. But I would if I could come up with an affordable, dependable contraption to do so. Jim R

Just so you know...I was born in Memphis.

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Other than this, Rick is correct. Besides, he's my brother and anyone who can double as Rosanna Arquette and come on this site and admit it, you can bet I've got his back! Big Grin Semper fi!

I’ve also doubled Betty Thomas, and quite a few other gals back when that wasn’t politically incorrect...and for what they were paying me I’ll take all the ribbing anyone wants to hand out.

One of Us
Picture of sad_cal_native
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sooner:
Back when I was in gunsmithing school, we had a snail trap we testfired into. It said it would handle up to to a 338 win mag. I never tried that large of a caliber but it soaked up everything we ever shot into it. As to the muzzle blast, it will muffle it some if you stick the muzzle inside the spout. In your garage and your neighbors inside they will never hear it. I dont know about your local laws, some cities have a no firearm discharge policy some dont. Lead buildup in the air is another very serious concern. A side note here, a couple of guys that graduated 2 years ahead of me put a snail trap in the basement of thier gun shop. One is very very sick now and the other has just been diagnosed with severe lead poisoning. Both men are in their thirties and will probably never see 40. These guys shot into it alot, not just the occasional testfire. I don't see how a trap like this would help in load development, since you need to know velocity and grouping, I would definitely stick to the range.

Sooner,

If you know these guys do a google search for EDTA and/or Chelation therapy. Supposedly this stuff will draw heavy metals out of the body. I'm not an expert and have no first hand knowledge, but there are sometimes natural/unorthodox remedies that work.

"Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto. "

"Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you."

Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
quote:

Rick

May I ask where you obtained your information that discharging a firearm inside a garage or building is illegal or stupid?

May I ask where you got the idea that firing a a firearm inside a garage or building would cause a licensed gunsmith to lose his FFL?

I have been gunsmithing since 1972. I've owned facilities in 3 differant locations, all of them inside the city limits of 2 differant cities. I always had a bullet trap that I test fired in on a near daily basis. Handguns, shotguns, rifles. Using both jacketed and lead bullets. The bullet traps were constructed with a safe design and materials. Adequate ventilation was provided. In over 30 years there have been no accidents or injuries. I still have good health and all my mental facultys.

In both cities I'm refering to it is not illegal to discharge a firearm in the city limits. It is illegal to RECKLESSLY discharge a firearm or disturb the peace.

My competitor across town is in the city limits and guess what, he test fires firearms in his shop. I can think of at least 3 gunsmiths that were active here years ago and they ALL had bullet traps and fired inside the city limits.

I have visited many other gunsmithing facilities that had some way to safely test fire firearms in their shop. That includes Trinidad State College, again in the city limits.

When I repair, modify, rebuild, rebarrel, or reblue a gun. It gets thoroughly test fired for function in my shop. If accuracy work was involved it gets tested at the range later. It would be difficult if not impossible to provide good reliable gunsmithing without test firing. Not to mention covering your self for liability. If it involved a trip to a gun range for each firearm you worked on, your productivity would be pretty low and your prices very high.

I dont know how much experience you have at making a living gunsmithing. Your statements lead me to believe just about none. I realize you may be correct for the local ordnances in your city and maybe the flaky state of California. I think you should carefully review the information you have based your opinions on.

I definately think you should thoughtfully reconsider why and who you are calling stupid.

When did I ever claim to make my living as a gunsmith??????

As far as discharging firearms within city limits and in residentially zoned areas those laws are pretty much nationwide...not just in California.

I would suggest you contact your local PD or Sheriff or visit the internet and down load a copy of the Texas state penal code and the city ordinances for your town and see what they say about the subject before you start mouthing off.

I hold an FFL, and if you do also you should know that your licence is subject to your compliance with ALL state, country and local firearms laws and does not expempt you from a damned thing when it comes to violating sections of any state, local, or city law or regulation. If you doubt that...contact the BATF&E and ask them.

The valley where I live is surrounded on three sides by state forest and there are two ranges within 15 or twenty minutes from my house. I guess you Texas and Tennesse boys live in bigger cities so maybe ya’ll ain‘t got them thar shootin ranges right handy like weuns outchere in Kallyfurnya du!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Rick0311,

got to agree with the group of FFL holders...I shoot in my homemade "lizard trap" a couple times a week. I realize you may be in Kalifornia, but most of the rest of the west is still free country. In Idaho the laws read that is basically illegal to discharge firearms inside of a city in a reckless manner.
regards,

Rich

PS: play nice, stupid is such a harsh way to express an opinion.

FFL stands for FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENCE...not state, county or city firearm licence. Having a federal firearms licence entitles the holder to engage in the firearms business...it does not entitle the holder to become exempt from ANY state, county or city laws and/or ordinances.

That is what I meant (and also what I said) when referring to the “possibility†of losing your FFL “if†you got arrested for a firearms related crime. Being arrested for certain crimes “can†result in the revocation of your FFL. Again, if anyone doubts this, don’t take my word for it all you have to do is contact the BATF&E and ask them...and while you’re at it contact your state and local police and ask them if shooting rifles in your garage in a residential neighborhood is against the law.

If the gentleman is already worried about his neighbors finding out about his intended activity, wouldn’t it be logical to assume that one of them just might call the cops if they heard a gun being fired from the house next door?

If all of you out there think that California is the only state where cities have ordinances against firing weapons within city limits or within a residential neighborhood then I’m afraid you are sadly mistaken.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I know that in Anchorage wild west guns test fires guns in the back of there shop. Don't know what they shoot into though.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as discharging firearms within city limits and in residentially zoned areas those laws are pretty much nationwide...not just in California.

Rick,

I am not comfortable with that blanket stetement. As stated by another Idaho resident in our state it is reckless discharge in most of the cities. Remember also we are a lot more rural than any coastal region of California, our big city is Boise. We have a lot of very small un incorporated towns. Last I checked the population of my town was 1800 or so scattered out across a lot of country.

I know for a fact I can discharge a firearm safely on my property ( legally ). I also know for a fact I can not discharge anything other than a shotgun on my property safely, I have no backstops, and unless I built a bullet trap I simply won't do it, cause it falls into the reckless category.

On another twist on this when I work in San Diego I go to the indoor ranges down here, I know many different cities have this how do they get the indoor ranges around this? My guess is that reckless discharge of a firearm might be a common verbage in laws across the country.

I would also like to inject it that you should check State, County and local ordinaces, my town doesn't have the reckless discharge clause its the county. A little homework would be warranted before jumping into this. Another item to check is convenants on property many property developers include this in properties and if you are in violation of them you end up in fighting with the county or local authorities ( generally you lose as you have previously agreed to these when you bought the property ).

In Idaho at least firearm laws are reasonably straightforward. Montana is similar. In Idaho firearms are OK, what you don't want to be up here is a pig farmer, we have statues all over state and local laws. We just can't seem to abide pig farmers, I have both County, town and covenant restrictions on pig farming ( actually its my only covenant ).

I do know not more than two weeks ago I was fireforming cases ( cream a wheat and toilet paper, no bullet ) out my back porch and my next door neighbor ( Idaho Highway Patrol ) poped over while I was doing it, which lead to questions (neighborly BS) of what I was up to, He definately would have mentioned it if I was breaking any laws, I wasn't and with 600 ft behind my house to the property line and using fireform loads there wasn't anything unsafe about what I was doing. I also know my neighbor a few doors down ( big old country doors *** ) has hillside behind him with a burm and he fires into it all the time.

Bottom line be safe and check you local regulations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have NEVER stated that it is illegal to discharge firearms in EVERY CITY or COUNTY in the United States.I have used words like “pretty muchâ€...â€mostâ€...etc.

Do a search under: “discharging fireams within city limits†and see how many hits you get, and how many are from areas outside of “Kalifornia.†I got tweleve pages last night when I did it.

I frequently drive above the posted speed limit, and on numerous occasions I have even had CHP’s pass me without giving me a ticket. Am I now to assume, because I didn’t get a ticket, that speeding is no longer against the law?

As has been stated...you would be wise to check your local laws rather than just assuming that because you are outside of “Kalifornia“ you are somehow immune to these types of laws which “MOST†incorporated cities in the USA have on the books, even if some don’t always enforce them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
schromf,

Unlike some others on here, I don’t pretend to know ALL of the state, county and city laws and ordinances across the USA.

Zoning laws can be a big factor. Areas zoned for manufacturing and industrial or commercial businesses are allowed to store materials and conduct activities that ARE NOT allowed in areas zoned for residential homes...and again, this is hardly something unique to California. Try opening a cocktail lounge or a 7-11 store in your garage and see what happens.

There are exceptions to just about any law. Obviously, a police officer firing his weapon at a bank robber in downtown Arm-Pit, Alambama would not be charged with discharging his firearm within the city limits, even though that activity was against the law.

I would also submit that a licensed business in the course of conducting that business, firing a weapon into an approved bullet trap inside the business is a wee-bit different from a home owner in a residential neighborhood blasting away inside his garage to test for maximum loads.

I am still of the opinion, and don’t apologize for it, that people firing weapons in residential neighborhoods where little kids could be in the line of fire on the other side of a garage door are not exhibiting behavior that I would consider to be real sane.

If that ruffles some feathers, then so be it. In my opinion it is idiotic behavior such as this that hepls feed the anti-gun lobby.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim R:

Just so you know...I was born in Memphis.

jumping

Say no more. cheers

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I don’t often admit to that one...but couldn’t resist in this case since the gentleman making that comment was from Tennesse.

Actually I was born in the Navy hospital in Millington...but no one outside of the Memphis area knows where that is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All I have to add to this is Iam glad I live in the country and have no trouble discharging firearms day or night.

I get a big kick out of the sheriff dept logs when some city person calls in and complains about gun shots here or there in the county.

I guess my neighbors are all use to my shooting happens almost every day or night no ones calls.

Iam sure there are places where one would get in to trouble with the law for fireing their weapons inside bulidings or with in city or town limits.

As far as being dangerous it would all depends on the back stop and how carefull the shooter was. I would recommend a good venting system. If one is going to do it on a regular basic.

Having been out side of several houses that have had shots fired in them most of the time it is just a small thud or pop one hears on the outside.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am still of the opinion, and don’t apologize for it, that people firing weapons in residential neighborhoods where little kids could be in the line of fire on the other side of a garage door are not exhibiting behavior that I would consider to be real sane.

Rick,

No feathers ruffled. As I said in my post its legal for me to do so on my property, I just can't do it safely so I don't. And I agree 100% check your local ordinances and convenants. THis whole thread got me thinking how I could safely do it in my shop setup. Short of a horizontal boring machine to get a pipe installed into dirt it really isn't practical for me, further I am not willing to put in the ventalation system I would want to keep the lead hazard down. For me the range is 5-10 minutes away and most of my shooting needs would be load development, which I want 100 yards for anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schromf:

Rick,

No feathers ruffled. As I said in my post its legal for me to do so on my property, I just can't do it safely so I don't. And I agree 100% check your local ordinances and convenants. THis whole thread got me thinking how I could safely do it in my shop setup. Short of a horizontal boring machine to get a pipe installed into dirt it really isn't practical for me, further I am not willing to put in the ventalation system I would want to keep the lead hazard down. For me the range is 5-10 minutes away and most of my shooting needs would be load development, which I want 100 yards for anyway.

Me too. I am surrounded by the Angeles National Forest and there are tons of places to shoot legally and safely within a short drive of my house...yes, there are places like that even in California! Smiler Drive west and north from the Santa Clarita and Antelope valley’s and there ain’t much of anything till you get to Vegas.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager in Johnson City, Tennessee (where Jim R. lives), I had an old guy on my paper route on Pine Street who'd been an NRA Life Member since 1928. He had an unfinished basement, and set up a mini-range for test firing directly into the earth. One afternoon his wife had several blue-haired little old ladies over for a tea, and this gentleman let go with a .30-06 right under the floor! Took a while to clean up the tea and other stains in the living room, and his wife was rather upset with him, to put it mildly. Good thing for him he was hard of hearing.
Big Grin

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote