New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help...another Mauser ID
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Folks can you help me out. This mauser is in .308 (as stamped on the barrel) On the action is a small crown with the words " FABRICA DE ARMA" and "OVIEDO" "1901" Apart from what I think are proof markings, thats it. Any ideas? What could this action be made into?

Thanks
Bakes

Posts: 8053 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
aint that the spanish 98? funky short stock and ugly barrel?

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Mate I don't know. It is ugly!

[ 12-03-2003, 21:47: Message edited by: Bakes ]

Posts: 8053 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More likely a small ring 93/95 action that was originally (and should have been left so) a 7x57.

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I might have to convert it back to 7x57. I can't leave it as a boring .308 [Wink]

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Does it cock when you open the action, or when you close the action?

LouisB

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
LouisB
I don't know. The rifle is in the safe at work. The cocking peice looks like my M96 and the bolt face has a squared off section on the bottom where it picks up the round.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
LouisB
I don't know. The rifle is in the safe at work. The cocking peice looks like my M96 and the bolt face has a squared off section on the bottom where it picks up the round.

If it has a flat on the bottom front of the bolt it it a model 93

Posts: 67 | Location: Eddington,Maine, | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spanish arsenal redone '93 or 95.Safe in .308??Not for me.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A surplus 6.5x55 Swede barrel would give you an appropriate and economical option. .257 Roberts is also safe. I read in Olsen's book that a 6.8x57(.277) was once made for the Chinese - that would be unique.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5x55 (2 actually). Would it be safe to reballel to 7x57 you think?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it would. That was the original caliber I think. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes the only one I have marked OVIDIO, is a model 95 in 7x57, it came out of RSA and time period is BOER WAR, the 95 differs from the 93 as I remember, due to the small metalblock in the stock just behind the bolt

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes: the correct wording is "OVIEDO", perhaps you could also find "FABRICA DE ARMAS and LA CORU�A". It�s a 93 or 95 converted for the military, more likely a 93. Many thousands were converted to .308. Never saw a report about being unsafe, by the way.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They were converted to 7.62 Nato. A round that generates lower pressures than a commercial 308. They are supposedly safe as chambered but I also concur,,'not for me!!'. Would make a dandly 7x57 and barrels are available as surplus from GunParts.

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thank you fella's. I think I'll convert it to a 7x57 sporter. I have a brazilian 7x57 that I was going to tinker with in the near future, this will save me chopping that up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunnut69:
They were converted to 7.62 Nato. A round that generates lower pressures than a commercial 308. They are supposedly safe as chambered but I also concur,,'not for me!!'. Would make a dandly 7x57 and barrels are available as surplus from GunParts.

Wern't they actualy converted to 7.62CTME? Same exact dimentions as the 7.62NATO cartridge, but at a much lower pressure than the Nato round.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they were intended to fire the ctme round which is a 40,000 psi round not the 7.62 nato which is a 50,000 psi, and not .308 Winny which is a 60,000+ round.

They all have approximatly the same demensions so it creates alot of confusion. I would either reload week 308 rounds for it, or rebarrel to a lower presure small ring mauser round.

Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

RE: re-barrel to 7x57, I'd pull the barrel first and look at the lug recesses to make sure they aren't hammered back from firing 308 Win. From what I understand, these don't usually fail catastrophically, but the headspace grows and grows. Also, they may have altered the feeding of the receiver for 308 -- it may not feed 7x57 any more. Try that too.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I'll get it checked out by my gunsmith before I do anything. Thanks for the info Todd.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Leave it in the ho hum .308 and use mild hand loads. Your money could be spent on something more rewarding. Having a GS check it out may cost more than it's worth. Even healthy 7x57 loads will eventually effect head space. It isn't a really gigantic problem but who needs it? Does "silk purse--sows ear" have any meaning to you? [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote