New
Find
Notify
Tools

RemMag extractor in .473 bolt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am rechambering a new SA remington action in WSM.

1. Are the safety concerns regarding Sako Extractor mod legitamate?

2. Can I open up the bolt face and install a Rem Mag extractor?

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
#1- only if you like to load too hot and blow a primer, or are unlucky and lose a case. The intallation of the Sako type extractor comprimises the integerty of the gas protection offered by the 700, but opening the bolt face up to mag dimensions is a legitiment reason for having the sako style extractor installed. Machining the bolt head out and installing a rem magnum extractor has never been real popular,just as much or more work as the sako style, and if you don't get it perfect, malfunctions are a problem. I personally would install a M-16 type instead of the sako, a little more machine work, but I think a stronger/better extractor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuaneinND:
#1- only if you like to load too hot and blow a primer, or are unlucky and lose a case. The intallation of the Sako type extractor comprimises the integerty of the gas protection offered by the 700, but opening the bolt face up to mag dimensions is a legitiment reason for having the sako style extractor installed. Machining the bolt head out and installing a rem magnum extractor has never been real popular,just as much or more work as the sako style, and if you don't get it perfect, malfunctions are a problem. I personally would install a M-16 type instead of the sako, a little more machine work, but I think a stronger/better extractor.

Where would I get info on installing the M16 extractor?

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I have heard the same for the AR type extractor for the rem 700. I have heard its better/stronger than the sako and less expensive.

A good smith can fix you right up!

<DuaneinND>
posted
Wallyw; I thought I had a copy of an article from rifle magazine about 20 years ago, but can't find it. I will seach my notes and see if I still have a blueprint of the operation. The extractor used by Howa or the Weatherby Vanguard are similar to the M16.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I see absolutely no problem with opening a Rem boltface to .473 and fitting a Sako Extractor. Don't bother with a Rem Mag extractor as they are junk and given the work it would take to turn another extractor groove, I think you would be far better off with the Sako.
Fitting a Sako extractor is tricky and you need the right size carbide bits, but I think Chapman makes a fixture that makes the whole operation trivial. I've done about ten of these conversions and NEVER had a single problem. The .50 BMG action built by McMillan is basically a Rem clone just scaled up big time. It uses a Sako extractor and last I checked it was handling about 12,000 ft/lb loads ,so I guess its safe. It has blown a few primers and handled the gas pretty well! That old saw about the Remington three rings of steel giving you greater safety in the case of a blown primer is "how shall I put it" a bit of a sales gimmic only. I see no reason whatsoever to bother with an M-16 type extractor as it offers no advantages I can see over the Sako.

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with AR 15 extractors, but any such device that may be improved by adding a rubber O-ring is suspicious!

IIRC I have heard at several posts that the AR extractor is one weakness of the design.

How about a CRF rifle?

Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote