THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    FN bullets hang up in M70 action,who fixed this successfully?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN bullets hang up in M70 action,who fixed this successfully?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,
rifle .416 Rem , WW M70 action
Problem: loading from the magazine,FN bullets hang up.

I am asking again for possible specific experiences to modify a W M70 Action.
With minor mods,my gunsmith was able to allow loading the somewhat rounded bullets from Northfork
(NF solids,Cu) but states that the square brass solids from Bridger 370gr still hang up at the lip

The Bridger type FN is a preferred solid ,consequently it would be nice if I could load it from the magazine.

Possibly somebody knows how to do it?

thanks for sharing

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to call Mark Penrod, Penrod Precision. Numerous people have posted about him here, so you can check references.

Mark is located in North Manchester, Indiana 260-982-8385. He'll let you know if he can help.

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 896 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks S hunter, I contakted Mark and relayed his opinion to my gunsmith in MT.

After that he gave me his assessment or analysis which makes sense, as the hangup occurs after the bolt is pushed forward about 7/8 of its length:

What I have found with the brass bullets is the sharp edge on the bullet hangs up on the shoulder for the magnum belt in the chamber. The only remedy that I can see is to break the edge on the belt ridge in the chamber to allow it to slide past but then the cartridges would have to be next sized only after fire forming to control head spacing. You could no longer depend on the belt for head spacing. I feel this is the only remedy.

The suggested surgery - if I understand all correctly sounds risky to me

I wonder whether I can get opinions re the advisability here.

Could this potentially ruin the chamber and thereby barrel?

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Sheephunter,

On ce upon a time Mike B. sent me some of his sollids to try in my rifles (.376 Steyr in Steyr ProHunter; .375 H&H in Kimber M89 BGR; and .375 H&H in BRNO M602).

The Steyr and its detachable box magazine would feed anything that would fit in the magazine.

The BRNO would feed rounds with LOAs longer than the Kimber (M70 clone) would feed. In either rifle, shorter LOA cured any feed hung-up.

Help me out here, I would think that with the bolt 7/8 of its length forward that the bullet would be well past the zone of the chamber where the belt cut is. Maybe the shoulder cut itself?

I recommend experimenting with the LOA for the flat nosed solid.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HunterJim
thnx for chipping in,

I lack much to be of experience.

I have no trouble loading the FN directly into the chamber - of course.
The problem only surfaces if loading from the magazine.
When doing so, I can ram the bolt with fore lying cartridge, forward about 7/8 of its travel
or put another way maybe missing about 2 cm =~ 0.8 inch or so.

Severe resistance "inside" that of course cannot be seen.
If I then take the bolt back a bit, lets say 1/2 inch, the cartridge apparently aligns itself and I can ram the bolt forward full and have a well loaded rifle.

I interprete this that the cartridge with FN, must apparently be still at an upward facing angle at the time of the hangup.
The FN bullet with its rectangular front cant clear something wheile more rounder tips have no problem.

Your suggestions to try shorter OALs might work
as we are talking small differences here.
Worth a try

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a different follower or follower spring. I had trouble similar to what you described and changed the follower spring. It helped. Used a m98 spring. You can also (I think) get stronger springs from Midway or Brownells.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the extractor may be a bit tight and the cartridge is getting bound up rather than sliding up under the extractor (assuming this is a long Mauser type extractor). Lots of fun curing feeding problems.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
email huntingcat here, he has a great deal of experience with this lineup.. and fixes them

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote