New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser action for a project
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have seen the availability of several Mauser type actions, i.e. Charles Daly, CZ and Legacy. Would any of these be a good choice as a starting point or would I be better off finding a used Rem. 700 or Winchester Model 70 and then proceeding from there? I am thinking of chambering to either .300 WSM or .325 WSM. Does the short magnum chambering cause any other concerns for a action? Thanks.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
duckster,
if you are set on the wsm line, then the mauser action would delay your project, cost you more time, and be more frustration when it's said and done.

imho, if you would like to have a wsm gun (I like them, just a bugger to get to feed) then get a new model 70, and restock it

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39714 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe

That is kind of what I was wondering. Maybe less hassle to have a restock and accurizing job on a factory number. I considered the Kimber Montana, but not really sure that I want a magnum in recoil in a 6 lb rifle. I like to shoot them for fun as well as for hunting and I think the recoil in that package might limit the "fun" a little. Now for hunting, it would be a different story.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My US friend spent endless hours and a lot of prime gunsmith time getting a WSM to feed from a long action. Never succeeded, and gave up in the end. His colleague insisted on the WSM in the long action, and the last time we went hunting he ended up hunting with his old .25-06 in frustation over feeding problems. I'm not saying it can't be done, but there are risks involved when using an action not intended for the short, fat rounds.

I personally think it would be a safer bet to go with one of the actions proven on the WSM platform - plus the right magazine. Short M70s, A-Bolts or MRCs spring to mind.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote