New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chambering question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Always got some oddball project in my head,sooo thought I would ask the more knowledgable ones about this one. The subject- Mexican Mauser action and short chambered barrel for 308. Since it looks like I'm going to use a Turk bolt(1910 action 1903 bolt) and have to mill a bit off the breech end to make the bolt work, will a 300 Savage reamer clean it up? Thought a 300 would make a great first deer rifle for Grandson. He is just 3 so I have time to do it right. Big Grin Thanks for any imput.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without knowing the dimensions of the reamer that cut the short chamber, or, the dimensions of the reamer you intend to use, I would suggest that you cast the chamber as it is now, and measure it against your reamer.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Malm offers good advice.

In most cases, short chambered means somewhere between .050 to .100... mostly closer to .050 "

which means a 308 (2.015 nominal, 1.560 to bottom of shoulder, .454 wide at shoulder) vs 300 sav,( 1.871 nominal, .447, and 1.559 to bottom of shoulder)

would PROPBABLY mean you would have to set the 308 barrel back a good deal, as the .008 taper may be an issue.

assume that the taper is cut -.05, it would result in an out of spec chamber, leaving a bulb INFRONT of the shoulder, probably resulting in a permanantly stuck case.

Not to worry, though, as the 308 fits perfectly well into mexican mauser actions, with little modification, and no need to block the mag for the shorter round.

So, you could either set the barrel back and recut the shank, threads and chamber, or just do it in 308 ... there's only, what, 3-4 grains difference in capacity?

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add to that the fact that 308 ammo is almost as easy to find as 30-06 and 30-30... 300 Sav is NOT quite so easy to find....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I had taken a look at the drawings and was unsure if being shortchambered and having having to take some off the breech anyway would give me enough for the 300. I know thats it is an oldy moldy, but it is a good one. The 308 is sensible, but not a lot of people has accused me of that when it comes to guns. jumping

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sensible is in the mind and eye of the owner/builder IMO.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"