New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hobby stockmakers using a router
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think it would be interesting to hear of people's experiences using a router for various stockmaking functions such as cutting barrel channels and cutting out mortises for receivers and bottom metal.

Anybody use a router for any of these stockmaking chores?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sure I use a router to do 98% of my stock making. Oops I guess that is because it is on my duplicator. Wink coffee

Whatever you do, you are going to need jig(s). Unless you are going to use them a lot I can't see how you would save time or $$.

Can't imagine a high $$ blank and an uncontrolled router. shocker Even a duplicator can get away from you if you don't pay attention.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only one of those fancy overhead models called a mill. This on a CNC mill

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's a bad idea from several different levels.

Posts: 17174 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my lathe as a vise, pinning the stock between the face plate in the headstock and a
face plate made to fit in the tail stock.
With the router mounted on the tool post.
I was able to cut most of the forend and finish with a rasp. I now have a duplicator, such as it is.
I think a guy would be better off, removing wood
for inletting with something like a forster bit.
A router would be way too dangerous in my hands anyway. Kenny

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
All mine are done with chisels and scrapers

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2687 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned to make stocks by hand with the help of a router, drill press, 12" disc sander and band saw. The drill press to get a "hole" started for the magazine box, the band saw to remove excess from the outside, the router to establish the "hole for the action to be inletted into and remove a good share of the wood from the barrel channel. We used the router to remove excess from the outside where you can't use a saw. And the 12" disc sander to quickly work "flats" when shaping. We used no templates when using the router or any of the other tools, all free-hand. I watch the instructor do a couple for other students and when it was time for mine, had the confidence to do it myself, while he watched and gave pointers. Childs play! You can remove alot of wood in a hurry,,, just don't get greedy! I can cut inletting (top side,, ya'can't use a router for the bottom metal) just about as close as many pre-inletted stocks. Just takes some confidence in knowing what you're doing, patients, sharp high speed bits ( carbide tends to 'grab'), and a firm grip. I've made more than just a couple using the methods I was taught and never made a boo-boo. All 'final fitting' was done with chisels, gouges and scrapers. The power tools are used just to remove excess, not to make any finish cuts.

Posts: 697 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silvers and Sicero:

Excellent. Thank you for responding to my question.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can remove alot of wood in a hurry,,, just don't get greedy! I can cut inletting (top side,, ya'can't use a router for the bottom metal) just about as close as many pre-inletted stocks

While I can understand it you are VERY CAREFUL and lay out the upper inletting line you could probably free hand it as long as you have a flat surface. I would be interested to know how you handle the fact that the inletting tapers in or say a round bottom of a M700. A duplicator simply traces a pattern. How do you deal with that doing it free hand??

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I do not recommend using a router free hand for the novice. Those guys have a lot of skill and experience doing this.
I do use a one HP router too, mounted solidly in my duplicator.

Posts: 17174 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, if we all agree that a dremel/mototool is a retail way of screwing up decent wood, i think a freehand router could make a wholesale deal out of it..

in other words, unless you want to make tinder and /or grievous bodily injuries, that would be a NO on the router, for any reason, freehand

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
well, if we all agree that a dremel/mototool is a retail way of screwing up decent wood, i think a freehand router could make a wholesale deal out of it..

in other words, unless you want to make tinder and /or grievous bodily injuries, that would be a NO on the router, for any reason, freehand
Either you've got some hand skills or you don't, jeffeosso. I've yet "to make tinder" of the dozen or so stocks that I've made using this method. The inletting is sharp and clean as the power tools are only used for the rough work. All finish work is done in the traditional way, with chisels, gouges and scrapers. Finish shaping is done with a #49, double cut files and rifflers. This method is NOT for the timid or faint of heart. "A man's got to know his limitations". After I'd made that first stock I realized there are no limits. The only limits are self imposed and lie witin. Narrow thinking yeilds 'narrow' results.

Posts: 697 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I don't use routers anymore for anything after this accident in May 2011. This was post surgery after a VY advancement flap procedure (I'll spare you the unbandaged photos)

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3059 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slivers

You should consider doing a you tube video of this process.

You mentioned instructor. Was this at a formal school ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1539 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
You can remove alot of wood in a hurry,,, just don't get greedy! I can cut inletting (top side,, ya'can't use a router for the bottom metal) just about as close as many pre-inletted stocks

While I can understand it you are VERY CAREFUL and lay out the upper inletting line you could probably free hand it as long as you have a flat surface. I would be interested to know how you handle the fact that the inletting tapers in or say a round bottom of a M700. A duplicator simply traces a pattern. How do you deal with that doing it free hand??
Cove bits, common sense (which isn't so 'common', anymore) and a critical eye for a round bottom action. You've got a straight cutter, so angled sides have to be hand inlet. I did say "almost as close". The object is to remove excess wood, not do the finish work. Lay out is critical. If you're "ham handed" or lack concentration this method is NOT for you. That 2 3/8" to 2 1/2" width of a stock blank is pleanty of surface for a router base. "True" the blank, off cheek piece side square to the top, that gives you a flat surface for the router base (the local cabinet shop has always been happy to help me out. A 8" jointer makes easy work of this.) With the blank "trued" accurate measurement is possible (that too depends on your skills).Just make sure you secure that blank in a solid vise, otherwise you'll be disappointed. "Plant" your feet, where you don't have to move while you're cutting and concentrate on what you're doing. I'd recommend a 'coach' who is familiar with the process for the first one, at least....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I was thinking more of mounting the router in a table and using it for the barrel channel rough cut, and some rough cuts for the action mortise, and then of course leaving the rest of the work to chisels and scrapers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
Slivers

You should consider doing a you tube video of this process.

You mentioned instructor. Was this at a formal school ?
Sorry, I don't have the ability to make U-Tube videos nor the time. I bearly have time to visit the various firearms forums. I've posted more tonight than I have anywhere in the past 4-5 months. This was the method taught at MCC 20 yrs.+ ago. Now, I don't believe stockmaking from a blank is taught there, anymore. I haven't been back or stayed in contact with anyone there since I graduated in '93. Lindy2, there's always more than one way to "skin the cat".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you should have stopped just before
"never made a boo boo" Kenny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sicero:
I think you should have stopped just before
"never made a boo boo" Kenny
Maybe I should have said "I've never made a boo-boo using the router". I've made plenty by hand, with a chisel or gouge, and know where each and every one is at.