New
Find
Notify
Tools

removing bedding compound
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pre-64 M70 stock that was previously bedded with compound which includes the recoil lug mortise. I would like to use this stock as is with another pre-64 but the recoil lug will not fit into the mortise, I suspect from the variations in dimensions from action to action. I realize that the fit of the lug is crucial, however, is there a simple way to accurately remove just enough of the material for a good fit using hand tools. I have a good bit of experience working wood including the use of chisels, but don't want to mess this up. It appears like only perhaps .020-.030" needs to be removed. Thank you.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Bed it like a wood stock. if it were mine I would enlarge it make sure it fits. Remove a touch more then bed it as normal.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
By hand
Using an 1/8" air grinder and a 1/8" carbide ball end mill

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Bed it like a wood stock. if it were mine I would enlarge it make sure it fits. Remove a touch more then bed it as normal.

+1!!!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in the bedding ONLY, this is a decent time to use a dremmel --

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the entire action was bedded, and not only the recoil lug- it ALL needs to be relieved a bit. The action will not fit the prior bedding precisely and will likely bind. Particularly on older receivers (though still do it on brand new ones) there are dimensional variations.

I would remove a substantial area behind the lug for new bedding (so it won't crack out under recoil), and about 1/8" or so everywhere else to allow for a "skim bed" of the new receiver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the same issue with a couple of secondhand Rugers I bought.
The only easy solution I found was to grind out nearly all of the bedding back to bare wood and re-bed with acraglass gel.
A dremel is your friend.
I bed the entire action but leave space on the sides and under the recoil lug.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote