New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help with a Rough Bore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a 300WSM barrel that fouls terrible. It takes forever to clean after 20 or so shots. I need to use JB to get the copper fouling out. I started with Sweets, but couldn't get it all out...at least I gave up as the patches never stopped turning blue.

Any suggestions? Should I try fire lapping, polishing with JB, or other alternative?

The rifle is finiky and I suspect it may be due to the bad fouling. If it shot good, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks!

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the name of the outfit in Anchorage but, they specilaize in custom Marlins and bolt actions. I bet they would lap the barrel for you. If not, there is plenty of info around on how to do it yourself. If you screw it up, you probably haven't lost much. It sounds like your rifle is a candidate for a new tube if the lapping doesn't bring out the desired results.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAB, I would firelap it in a heartbeat. The Tubbs Final Finish system is the way to go. I've lapped or been involved in firelapping a bunch of rifles, and it has never hurt any of them, and has helped most of them, some tremendously. You simply load the correct caliber bullets, and follow the directions, shooting the progressively finer 'grits' of bullets. It is simple straightforward and works well in my experience. The only negative I've seen at all is a slight lengthening of the throat.

I have personally firelapped a couple of my 300 WSM's and the results were great, much improved accuracy and incredibly reduced fouling.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JAB--
I would recommend you avoid Wild West Guns unless you need a particular product or service only they offer. They can be a pain in the ass...and I won't take a gun there again.

Stan Jackson does excellent work for reasonable prices. He's at 349-3854.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll likely end up using the Tubbs Final Finish. I might go slow and just use the finer grit bullets and see how it comes out. The gun definately needs some help.

Dan, Don't worry, I won't ever take anything to Wild West Guns.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAB
As a cleaner have you tried Wipeout?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote