THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can 300 win mag be rechambered to 300 Dakota?
 Login/Join

<gone hunting>
posted
My rifle is a mod70 push feed. 300 win mag 26" barrel. What would it take to rechamber to 300 Dakota? Would I have to alter the magazine feed lips? Can i fit a 375H&H length magazine to my action?

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

<Patrick_D>
posted
I can't answer all your points, but the Dakota is slightly shorter, and the neck narrower, so it does not look too likely.

patrick

<Doc in Texas>
posted
Yes,you can put a 375 H&H case in to your push feed action. you will have to changethe bolt stop and take out the mag block and use a longer follower. I have done this to my gun last year and got all that I need from
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ . I went to a 300 RUM . but looking at the Dakota it is shorter and fatter.I would guess that you mite have to open the feed rail a bit.

hope this helps

Doc

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The magazine you have will work just fine. Just remove the spacer by drilling out the electric spot welds. Buy a 375 follower from USRAC and grind the bolt stop as necessary. It will feed just fine with no alteration to the rails or the magazine lips.

Not sure about the the rechambering but I believe taking off a couple of threads and refitting the barrel will take care of that part of it. A good gunsmith can take care of that part for you.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote